Sunday, November 18, 2007

Starting tomorrow my work is starting another wellness program. I did the first one, but did so horribly that I chose not to participate in the second one. But this next one, is just to maintain, not gain, from tomorrow to the end of the year. I think I can do that, since my weight seems to be dead-set no matter what I do. I am going to try and lose though - if you actually lose weight then you get a bigger prize. But it'll feel good just to lose.

This is the end of "gratitude week" too. I didn't do so hot at making a list at the end of every day, but I did make an effort to just think to myself some of the things I was grateful for that day. The most common recurring thing was my husband. But not just him, I mean I've been blessed with so much, even the little things. We watched a movie last night, Blood Diamond. It was very good. But I just kept thinking, "what would it be like to live in a place of such insecurity?" How does life just go on with the constant fear that you could be attacked at any minute, having your home and family, your way of life, taken from you. And here in the states we get all riled up when someone spanks their kid, in fact it's illegal in California I hear, but in some places the children are being taught how to use machine guns, how to kill and ravage, how to use heroine and other such things. Sure our country has it's own problems, but how many places in the world just don't have the security we have here? It's very humbling to think about. I am immensly grateful to live hear, to be able to work and earn sufficient $ to take care of our needs, to be able to go to school and secure the possibility of a better future? And to do it all knowing that I'll be home at the end of the day and my home and family will still be there. It just amazes me. And it makes me want to be able to do something about it - about all the horror that happens in other places, especially to the children. I have an old highschool friend who's majoring in some economics thing, who plans to take on world poverty. Not that he'll be able to cure it, but he'll do great things. I wish/wonder if I could ever do something like that.

2 comments:

DeAnna said...

Okay okay, please don't hate me for saying this, but I just can't stop myself. Set-point...you said that your weight remains the same not matter what you do. That is called a set-point, your body naturally will sway back to the exact same weight no matter what unless you maintain an eating/exercise program for a long period of time (like a year). SO, to break the cycle keep up the good work, and don't expect to see changes in your body weight with an exercise program for at least 3 months, so don't give up until then. :) Sorry, I don't mean to say anything unless people ask, but ...sometimes I can't help myself.

Cali said...

No no, I always appreciate pointers. I know what the set-point is, I've been there since high school. I'm convinced it's going to take a lot of hard work - but no pain no gain eh? :)