Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An ode to the Chicken Man

I don't know why I thought of it, but as I was sitting in the drive-through at lunch today, my thoughts drifted to an old man I used to see around as a kid. I knew him as the Chicken Man.

He came every year to our gradeschool on picture day and snapped photos of all us kids... he may have even done a family portrait once, though I don't completely remember. I can still hear his nasaly voice, as he hit himself on the knee with a big rubber chicken and said, methodically, "Ow! Don't hurt me chicken!" over and over, while snapping pictures. Of course we kids loved it. In fact, the Chicken Man was so ingrained into my existence, that as far as my little six-year-old mind knew, there always had and always would be a Chicken Man. If we were to move far away, I expected there would be a Chicken Man there, too. Looking back on it, he was so old at that time that I wouldn't be surprised if he has since passed away.

Anyway, adeiu Chicken Man, I will always remember you.

2 comments:

alison said...

hahahaha! I remember...

Nat said...

you know, that chicken man was taking my picture from K-Grade 6. I remember thinking "Man that is VERY old man. I bet he is 100 yrs old". I'm glad that we (the fam) are not the only ones that fondly remember him.