Sunday, May 4, 2008

Stick 'em up, granny

I guess it's possible even for dear sweet old ladies to get into mischief now and then. A few days ago I went down to Spanish to visit my grandma and her husband Donald. While there, she told me she'd had the cops sent after her while she was playing bridge at the senior center.

She works at the temple with a couple of friends bright and early every Monday morning, and one particular morning, while it was still dark outside, she went to back out of her parking spot and accidentally went forward instead, hitting a large pole. They got out to inspect the car and the pole and couldn't see that it had done much damage, if any. They tried to walk all the way back up to the temple entrance to tell somebody but the doors were locked, so they just went home. Once home, she tried to call someone at the temple to tell them about it, however no one answered the phone, so she just let it go.

A couple days later she got a phone call from temple security, telling her that she could go to jail for not reporting what happened. (How they knew it was her, I don't know. Perhaps they have surveillance cameras). He said that the pole was bent clear over and it needed to be fixed, and reiterated that she could go to jail for not reporting it. She apologized, but didn't believe she had caused that much damage, so she went to check it out. Sure enough, the pole was bent clear over and the cement that held it was cracked open. So she began calling the insurance company, which is on the east coast, and it just took her forever to get someone on the phone who would actually help her.

It was that night at bridge that two policmen came walking into the senior center to find grandma. Luckily, she had actually taught one of the men in sunday school or something and knew him well, so all that happened was they sat there and chatted for awhile. No arrests. Donald said he just wanted to wrangle the temple security guy's neck for being such a jerk. Grandma admits her wrong; however, Donald thinks it was an honest mistake and since she is fixing the problem, the guy needs to lay off.

This weekend we watched the movie Enchanted. I kind of tricked Geoff into watching it with me by not telling him that it's kind of a musical. But he actually enjoyed it, and I thought it was cute. We also watched I Am Legend, which was okay. I have actually read the book, and the only thing they took from the book was the idea that one man, immune to what happened around him, must barricade himself inside at night in order to survive. Everything else about it was completely different. I had kind of hoped it would be about vampires, but it's okay.

My stomach is already in knots about our "inspriational" human-performace meeting on Tuesday. It's numbers week, and a few people must stand and give their numbers for the past month. I have prepared my numbers already, but I just hate being put on the spot... there are enough other things to worry about. Oh well, I am not the most elegant person when put on the spot, and speaking in front of people, but you do what you can.

No comments: