Tuesday, June 10, 2008

From toil and sorrow

Geoff has been thinking a lot about life and death in the last week or so, when he said out of nowhere that it hit him like a ton of bricks - we are all going to die someday. Of course it's only logical, but I think the significance of this was that life is so dang short, and all of the working for promotions, working for degrees, buying houses, having babies, the suffering and pain and pleasure and joy of life... all of the things people do and are, we make ourselves so busy and it's all going to end in a few short years anyway. For Geoff, this has triggered an existentialist thought process, sort a "what's the point in all of this," and a "why not eat drink and be merry" type of thing. Although we all know he is a very hard worker, it is still something interesting to think about. (Here he would probably stop and pretend to be Peter from family guy going, "WHY?") Some choose to do things that would leave their mark on the world, some live their lives quietly in the background.

Yesterday there was a death that hit close to home, for someone far too young. Although we only saw them once or twice a year, my heart absolutely goes out to her family. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through right now. I wouldn't feel it was my place to try and say things will be okay. But these things have driven something home to me: that it doesn't matter what the purpose of life is, the most important thing is to always make sure that the people I love know that I love them. Because life is too short, and you never know which end of the situation you will be in. My family are the most important thing to me, and the relationships and time with them should be treasured, every. single. day. (And maybe, to be smart, we'll get a couple life insurance policies.)

Of course it follows that I'm not perfect, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter to me and that I'm not going to try to be better. My thoughts and prayers with the Aagard family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something like this happens to someone close to us and it just hits you square in the gut. (And makes ya worry even more when your kids are out driving around.) Nothing we can do to control what could happen, just make sure we let those around us know how much we love them. So to you Cali, I love you more than you will ever know! Thanks for just being you. You've got a pretty neat hubby and I love him and appreciate him just for being who he is too.