Thursday, June 5, 2008

I want to watch 27 Dresses.

In class today, our marketing professor halted the lecture to tell us about resumes, and what should be on a resume. This is what he said and I'm not kidding, it should go in this order:

1. Name, contact info.
2. Objective
3. Education/Qualifications
4. Awards/Honors
5. Experience - full/part time
6. Projects you have done that could benefit the org.
7. Presentations you've given
8. Service
9. Courses you've taken (that are relative)
10. Technical skills
11. Languages you speak
12. Affiliations
13. References

Yes, right around object six, me and the person sitting next to me started to shake our heads... this looks like a bunch of fluff to me... who is going to read a 10-page resume?? Of course, then he pulled his own resume up on the projector and scrolled through it, saying, "Oh, those are my publications, you guys won't be putting those in yours... oh, that's my teacher evaluation, you won't be putting that in yours... oh, my PhD advisor, you guys won't be putting that in yours..." etc. Then he proceded to talk about how the UVSC school of business is going down the proverbial crapper because none of the other professors are researchers like he is and that he wouldn't be surprised if the people who gave UVSC the 20 million dollar grant decide to take it right back, etc. etc.

We talked about it on the way out to our cars... we kind of gather that he isn't very well liked by other faculty very much, because he comes in, he's young, he's only had his degree for 3 years and has only ever had one job, and thinks he knows it all and that he's so much better than everyone. He thinks leaving to teach at a different school will be different for him, but I have to wonder if he won't be greeted with the same perception.

Anyway, only two more weeks of this class. Two more tests, a few more quizzes, and one paper, and we're outta there.

Let me tell you what else happened today. There I was, at work working, and Geoff calls. He got a voicemail from Direct Sat (The Direct TV satellite people), saying that my work address is a non-existent address, that they won't be able to deliver the equipment now until next week, and that the installation appointment that we had for today was cancelled.

Uhhhh, first of all, my work address is a perfectly "existent" address. And how do I know? Because I'm HERE! And I have a hard time believing the UPS guy couldn't find it because, uh, he comes every day. Second of all, our installation appointment was NOT scheduled for today, it was scheduled for Saturday, so what the h*ll are they talking about?

For some reason this made me so mad, so I called them up, spoke with my service rep, and guess what she said to me. "We've been TRYING to reach you. Why didn't you call us when you realized your equipment never arrived?"

I think I blew a gasket. Most of the time I'm a pretty calm person, but I could feel my face get hot and I was hopping mad, I could feel myself shaking. "What do you MEAN why didn't I call you?" I yelled. "I was told it would take 3-5 business days to arrive. Today is day four. It could still come today. It could come tomorrow!" I could not believe she was trying to blame ME for the situation. This, along with waiting two weeks for service, was not what I paid for.

"It was just a question, mam."

I asked them to overnight the equipment so that it could be here tomorrow, and so we could still have the installation guy come this Saturday, as planned. She said they couldn't do that. She rescheduled our delivery and set our installation back another full week. I came home for lunch, yelled and screamed a little bit, then called them back up and cancelled our service. Then I called up Dish Network and signed up with them. It is a little bit more expensive than the DirectTV introductory price, but we get to have it on two TVs, and it includes a DVR system, and we get more channels, and he waived the processing fee and the activation fee for me, and they haven't had a price raise in 7 years. (They might in Feb., but I'm not worried about it). And they don't have to ship equipment to me so there's no dumb shipping fee, and they are coming in just TWO DAYS to install everything.

Good heck, we should've gone with them in the first place. Of course, Geoff is skeptical because it hasn't happened yet, and after today I can't really disagree with him anymore. But really, do you really treat your customers that way and expect to keep them? I don't think so.

Now that I think back on it, I don't know why I got sooooo mad like I did; certainly there are better things to have a cow about, if have a cow you must. I think it scared Geoff a little bit because he's never seen me like that before. In the middle of it, he did make me lunch... without me asking or saying I was hungry or anything, he just put a plate of food in front of me. What a sweet gesture of him, especially when I'm acting all crazy, he's such a sweetheart. Maybe it was just a culmination of a stressful week, or if I'm tired of jumping through other people's hoops, and being treated like an ass-wipe just didn't help, I guess.

For some reason I just had a mental picture of an old schoolmate from high school, standing behind a pulpit and speaking into a microphone, referring to himself as a dandelion that's been smashed up, and stepped on and, smeared, all over the sidewalk. Random. (DeAnna might recognize it if I told her who it was, but I don't want to put his name all over my blog, cuz, that's weird.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are perfectly normal to get mad at times like this. It happens to everyone. You'd think we'd learn, but when something makes ya mad, yer mad. Period. Don't beat yourself up about it. At least you can stand up for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I am customer service's worst nightmare! It really embarrasses Blair but sometimes being bitchy is the only way to get things done. Not that I think you were being bitchy but if you were... I think it's okay. :) And how recent is that picture on your profile? I love your bangs!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you know where to find that movie.... Don't go renting it.

alison said...

I liked this blog, it made me laugh... but now I'm thinking it probably wasn't meant for laughs. I'm sorry they were jerk brains to you, but I'm excited for your new service to come! I need to come see the tele. And I think you're right when you said once that you don't like thinking of new titles for your blogs... hehe

Anonymous said...

You should know by now you can only have 26 dresses.

Anonymous said...

Cali, I can't imagine you mad..you are too sweet!!
Also..ummm...the DVR thing..it is totally addicting. I haven't seen my kids for two years. I hear they are getting taller.......

auntie nan