Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I dunno, he looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me...

Pre-courtship

Recently we were talking about Geoff's perception the first time we met. He thought I was a little stuck-up brat. It was his friend, Marshall, who actually introduced us. Marshall had brought Geoff and another guy over to my apartment to meet me (Marshall and I went on a few dates a long long time ago). Anyway, I was at the laundromat when they showed up, and when I got back to the apartment I was embarrassed that I was wearing pajama pants and didn't have makeup on and was carrying around a laundry basket full of clothes. (Just the picture a guy likes to see when he first meets a girl, huh? Skip the courtship honey and go straight to the 15-year anniversary!) Add to this, that I didn't know they were there to meet me, I thought they were just hanging out, cuz people did that all the time at our apartment. So I briefly introduced myself, probably without smiling, and then retreated to the bedroom to put the laundry away. Hence, Geoff's perception of my stuck-up-ness. And my perception of him? "I dunno, he looks kind of hairy and slobbery to me." (Actually no, I hardly even remember this occasion, to be honest)

Another time, a bunch of us had gone to breakfast at Magleby's fresh in Provo. It was the 4th of July and we had volunteered to help my roommate pooper-scoop at the parade. Well, have you ever tried to drive around downtown Provo the morning of the 4th? We could NOT make our way past the barricades and people to get where we needed to go. I guess we could've tried harder, but we eventually gave up and went to breakfast instead. So, there we were, joking around and laughing about how that guy over there looked like Patrick Swayzee, and I suggested we play the "animal game." The animal game is where you decide what animal each person looks like. When we got to Geoff, I said he looked like a hedgehog. In my mind, a hedgehog is this cute little furry animal - a CUTE animal. Geoff, of course, didn't take it that way. To get back at me, he said I looked like a Triceratops. We didn't know each other well enough at the time to understand this little head-game we were playing, and of course I took offense at being likened unto a dinosaur. At that point Marshall called the game to a halt and we went on our ways.

Another time, Geoff was over at our apartment talking to my roommates and mentioned that he needed to go on some dates and did we know anyone. I immediately piped up, "I have this really cute friend named DeAnna!" (Do you remember that, DeAnna?)

Another time, we had invited a group of people to go hike the Y, and the whole time, Geoff hiked in front and talked to my roommate, and I stayed at the back and talked to a different guy.

And another time, Marshall had wanted to send me a flower but he wasn't able to bring it to me himself, so he asked Geoff to deliver it. So Geoff went to the flower shop, bought the flower and filled out the card, and delivered it to my apartment, on behalf of Marshall.

Anyway, just a few stories from the early phase. I would not in a million years have thought we'd be married. If we were meant to be, I think God all but had to scream at us before we got the picture, HELLOOOO, WAKE UP ALREADY YOU DUMMIES!! Eventually we did see the light, with a little help from Dantzel. :) Thanks Dantzel. (And that's a whole 'nother post)

On another note, life is CRAZY right now, but I love it! At least, the work part of it. The school part can kiss it. It's going to be another four semesters for me, if I keep doing 30 credits/yr without having any dumb scheduling hangups. Poooooooooooooo. After class I decided to go splurge and went shoe shopping. Got some silver flats and some blue lacey stilletos. Are they sexy? Yes. Do I have anything to wear them with? No. Do I care? No.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute story! I love those pre-dating and dating stories. I have lots so I should share but I don't feel like it. :) Congratulations on the shoes. I have a ton of shoes I can hardly wear so I fully support blue stilettos that don't go with anything, although I'm sure they do!

Anonymous said...

You're such a girl, Cali!

Anonymous said...

whew, I'm glad you both admit you look funny.

alison said...

hahaha! triceratops?!?!! that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while...

justine said...

hehehe... cute story!