Monday, September 1, 2008

24 Dinosaur

This last Saturday another anniversary of the day of my birth passed. I am now "24 Dinosaur" as my co-worker put it. (She is 33). A number of exciting things happened, in random-order as follows:

  • My little brother stopped by the house with his girl-friend (she stayed in the car cuz she was on the phone. I still have not met her). He gave me a box of twinkies and a purple Hannah Montana t-shirt. I was so thrilled that he came by, he is so cute. I can't believe how grown-up he is, and taller than me! (He's 17, HS senior). I have never expressed interest in Hannah Montana and was a little surprised so I asked "Hannah Montana?" And he said, "Hu-yeah," as if, "duh she's the greatest ever!" It was so cute.
  • Mom & Dad gave me a one-hour massage at the Utah College and a $50 gift certificate to the mall (my favorites, both!) and chocolate. And flowers. They know me way too well. :)
  • In the morning, Alison and I went down to Manti and met her friend and friend's hubby and did a session at the Manti temple. We talked about boys and the color-code all the way down and back up. It was way fun and I will miss those times when she is gone.
  • Geoff bought me the movie My Girl 2 (because I love the first one), and more candy than I could ever hope to eat in a lifetime. Seriously, I think he spent like 50 bucks on boxes of chocolate, m&m's, skittles, licorice, and anything else you can think of. We made ourselves sick on it last night, it was so much fun. And we ordered pizza and stayed in and watched movies. My husband is such a stud. Seriously, he's like the most handsome man I've ever met, and a sweetheart too. And he makes me laugh all the time.
  • A co-worker surprise-decorated my office with balloons, streamers, banners, confetti, you name it. It was so nice of her, and unexpected so I was totally surprised. And my work gave me a big bag of candy and popcorn.
  • Geoff's mom called to say happy birthday and sent me a singing card and some gift-certificates, and his dear grandma, who is such a sweetheart. She has just been diagnosed with cancer and is having surgery on Thursday. She is in such good spirits (or sounded that way) despite everything, and was so sweet to call me when she is the one who should be recieving phone calls. Geoff's dad also gave me a gift certificate as an early birthday present when he was down visiting a couple weeks ago. I am so lucky to have such awesome in-laws.
  • My grandma also called to say happy birthday and get my address to send a card. She said she would've called earlier but she's been busy planning a class reunion and she has a houseguest, so she's very busy. She's so cute. I'm glad she's able to be busy and be happy having a nice social life. I should go down to visit soon.
  • An old co-worker from a past job called, as he does every year. He tells me about his family and says to let him know when we're down so we can come visit him and his wife, and even offers to let us stay at their house! He really scared me though, because when I saw the caller ID I thought it was one of our clients, and then when I picked up, he said, "This is the IRS, and I think you're cheating." If I hadn't just sent a letter to the IRS asking them to call me, I wouldn't have been so scared. And we're not cheating, but it is scary to hear that nonetheless. Ha ha.

It was such a great birthday, and I am truly blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful people. I really think that is what makes life so good. :)

A few other thoughts:

This morning upon waking, a saw dark-gray clouds nestled low against the mountains and thought, "No! It looks like fall is here already!" Then when I walked outside, it still smelled happily like wet summer grass and not cold smoky fog, the tell-tale sign of pending winter. So we still have some time left. I love the fall. Really the only thing there is not to like is that it's followed by winter.

I love this new David Archuletta song. It's catchy. And it's funny the way he pronounces truth as "tuh-rooth."

A twinkie makes a great breakfast just before you head off to the gym.

2 comments:

kenna said...

And your lame friend, Kenna, did nothing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Really, I will take you out to Cafe Rio. This week is kinda full for me, except I could probably do tomorrow. (Wednesday) Let me know what you think.

DeAnna said...

Oh, that sounds like such a fun day. Hey Andrew and I are coming down this weekend, maybe we should get together!