Friday, November 21, 2008

A bus full of chinese people

So a couple of days ago Geoff saw a flyer in the advisement center for a Physician-Assisted-Suicide seminar at the school. Being from Oregon where this is legal, he thought it would be interesting to go see what it was all about.

So, he got there about ten minutes early today and was the first one there, and he looked around the small conference room and thought, "man I hope everyone can fit in here, I hope we aren't all squished." He decided to leave for a few minutes and come back later after there were people there. He walked in the room, and it was full of finance/economics professors, about nine of them. One of them said, "Oh, is this open to everybody?" The presenter said sure, and Geoff, figuring he already drove here why not stay, took his seat. (Awkward!!)

So there he was the only student in a room full of professors, and listened to them talk not about the ethics of PES, but the economic benefit, or worth, in utility. Meaning, what ways is it a good thing not related to the money. As if that could be measured. But the presenter had this huge equation he went through which Geoff didn't really follow, but he stayed for the whole thing. He says, imagine being a tall white blonde person on a bus full of chinese people, and that's how he felt. Because nobody looked at him, but he could tell they were thinking about him. Ha ha. I just laughed my butt off when he told me about it... of all random situations to put yourself into. I said, "well at least you learned something," and he said, "yeah..... actually no, not really." But he felt smart. He's so funny.

On another note, this morning as I was getting ready for work he asked me what I wanted for lunch, and I said leftover stroganoff from last night with noodles. I thought we had leftover noodles from the night before too. But I came out to the kitchen just before leaving and he was finishing boiling a pot of noodles for me so I could take it to work. I hadn't expected him to cook more noodles for me at 7:30 in the morning, I just thought we had leftovers! And then there was last night as we lay in bed watching 24, my neck was sore (it always is) so I started rubbing it, and Geoff offered to rub my back. So he gave me like a 30 minute full back/neck massage which felt like absolute heaven. Why he is so sweet I don't know but he has been waiting on me hand and foot. I think I've finally figured out what his love language is; it's acts of service. Geoff is like the least needy person on the planet, and I've always had a hard time figuring out what things I could do for him that would be meaningful to him. Of course, he does what he does without expecting things in return (I really believe that too, because like I said, least needy person on the planet) But maybe I need to kick it up a notch in doing nice things for him... i.e. treating him like royalty for a change. (I know I need to). Now maybe I have an idea of how.

Anyway, this is getting a little corny. I just can't wait to go on vacation this weekend and just spend time with him just hanging out, not worrying about school and work and housework and blah blah blah. It will be so nice.

It's fun to try and figure out what other people's love languages are. Like I've always thought Geoff's dad's main one is gifts, because he's always giving us cool little things out of nowhere, like cards or gift cards or keychain gadgets or miniature flashlights or emergency glow sticks (and lots of other stuff too.) Some people are harder to figure out than others though. Like my own husband, ha ha.

No comments: