Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Home sweet home

Well, I haven't been tagged by Johnny B to write about this:

"Dancing Deer’s Sweet Home Initiative raises money for scholarships to help educate homeless women and end family homelessness. As a part of this initiative, (their) CEO, Trish Karter, will be riding her bike 1,500 miles from Atlanta to Boston, visiting family shelters in each city to raise awareness about this issue. She’ll also be recording stories from the women she meets along the way, asking them about their experiences. One question she’ll ask them are what foods remind them of home." (See more: click here.)

Since I wasn't actually tagged, I'm not going to blog about favorite foods that remind me of home. I really can't do justice to the goodness of grilled cheese sandwhiches anyway... that they are my ultimate comfort food - and delicious with tuna - is really beside the point right? (Kidding. Lame joke alert)

Not that grilled cheese was the only thing mom ever made - she's a great cook. In fact, hubby loves it when we get invited for dinner because it means he gets delicious food without having to scrounge for himself. (Because usually when I try to make pancakes or 5-minute rice I have to ask for help and he ends up doing it anyway.)

But I remember many dinners of pot roast topped with carrots, potatoes, and cabbage... loved that cabbage. And there were many casseroles as well. I've even tried to replicate a few of them... someday I will be a better cook. And as always the best dessert - no bake cookies, the kind with peanut butter and little cocoa. Mmmmm. No one makes it like mom does.

I tag anyone else who would be interested in passing the word along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah shucks Cal... Just FYI, I couldn't cook either and thought the same thing about my mom's cooking. So there's hope for you yet.