Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ughhhhhhhhh

What a weird, awful, crazy week. It's been CHOCK FULL of work, school, and homework. So I've been a little crazy. Remember I said "tomorrow's going to suck," oh if I had but known. Wednesday was the marker of bad days. There's a task that I have done almost every day since starting in the acct department, that requires me to be careful and accurate. And for a year and a half, I've done good. On Tuesday, I messed up, and it came to haunt us on Wednesday. I had to go "confess" to my boss so we could start clearing it up, and I walked in composed, and the minute I sat down that knot in my throat came up and my eyes got hot and wet, it was awful! I've cried at work, in the bathroom or the privacy of my own office, or maybe in the company of a trusted friend, but while face to face with my boss? How completely unprofessional. Anyway, I guess first and most importantly, we could've had some angry clients, and we had to call them to explain what happened (i.e. that I'm a moron), and we didn't have any angry clients; for that I was most grateful. Next, my boss could've yelled or been a real jerk, and he did neither of those things. He didn't treat it as "no big deal," because it was a big deal, but he just helped provide instructions to clear it up and, like a good manager, inquired about our processes to see where it slipped through the cracks and made a suggestion as to what helps him with things like that. Also, the sweet ladies in Payroll were so so great to help me fix it, and for the rest of the week kept asking if I was doing okay and if I was having a better day now. Ughhhhhhhh. Anyway, it demonstrated to me again just how great the people I work with are, though still would've been better if it never happened. Awful.

On Wednesday after work, I had to go straight to school to meet with my group to make sure we had our presentation all set and ready to go. Class was at seven. I thought we were set and had a good enough understanding of the material to teach it to the class. We failed miserably. In fact, after we were done, the teacher got up, announced he was making a change to the lesson plan, and tried to "re-teach" everything we had just gone over, pointing out the errors of our presentation. I think he was pretty mad. The thing was, even after he clearly explained how it was supposed to work, still nobody understood. Questions questions questions. One guy even went up to the whiteboard to try and draw his own flowchart to help him understand. Finally the teacher said he'd post a flowchart on blackboard for us to study. I felt completely awful. I kind of thought he probably shouldn't have left that chapter up to the students to teach, and if so, shouldn't expect us to perfectly understand the process, as even he has said the book is pretty terrible. (I think this might be his first time teaching this class, so maybe it'll be different for the next class). I honestly thought I was understanding it. I'm still upset about it. This teacher has been one of my favorite teachers thus far, which is pretty good in light of my thoughts about professors in general, but at any rate, I have no more warm fuzzies where this class is concerned. I just have to make it through two more months of stuff that I will never again use in my life, and I'm free to go. (For the record, the chapter was about public/private key pairs, hashes, message digests, certification authorities, digital signatures and digital certification - which are apparently two different things - encryption and decryption, and Bob and Alice. Jackson, if he's reading, probably knows all about that stuff because he's IT, but like I said, never going to use again in my life.)

So, that is the Cali side of things. On the Geoff side, he's been under stress because he's looking for a job, and that is never a fun process, no matter what the economy is like, and the economy isn't good. So anyway there's been a little bit of tension in our house due to stress this week, but last night we just decided we needed a break to blow off some steam. We caught up on all of our TV shows, like Big Bang Theory, Biggest Loser, and The Office. Today, Geoff's out giving a presentation to some people, and I plan to shower and go shopping. We might go up to the museum at Hill AFB, cuz he was up there yesterday and said the museum looked really cool.

Homework can wait until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jax said...

Ouch, Cal, I feel bad you had to teach that subject in class. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in information systems. I hold two IT security certifications (Certified Information Systems Security Professional [CISSP] and Certified Information Systems Auditor [CISA]). Despite all of that, even I have a difficult time working my way through those topics. Mmm, public/private key pairs--good stuff. Well, keep your chin up--it will always end eventually--but methinks the professor shouldn't have made students expound upon that subject.

Cali said...

Jax- THANK YOU! I feel validated now.