Thursday, February 4, 2010

Great-grandpa

I went down to grandma's after work today, to say hi and show her how to log in to my blog. I brought her and Donald some cake bites from the Sweet Tooth Fairy yummmmmm they are so good. It was great visiting with them, I love my grandma so much.

A local paper recently did a story on my grandma's parents and their influence on the city, and they also did one on Donald's family. Grandma showed them to me, and I learned that my great-grandpa, Heber Jones, was the mayor of Payson city and also had a beautiful bass singing voice. I didn't know that stuff! I was shocked I was to realize how little I know about him and great-grandma, Fannie. Grandma dug out a packet of paper for me, "A Personal History of William Heber Jones," written by himself at age 75. It's only 11 pages long and was typed on a type-writer by my mom a long time ago. I didn't know this booklet existed! Oh well, I really look forward to learning more about my great-grandpa. I'm sure he wrote it with that idea in mind.

I'm not much of a family-history person; the whole process of gathering info. just seems so ambiguous that I've never made much of an effort at it. This is really, really cool though.

Oh by the way, this "Jones" lineage comes from my mom's side. Yep, my grandma was a Jones who married a Boyack, then she had my mom who was a Boyack and married a Jones. So my grandma's on my mom's sides name is Alice Jones, and also I think I have a great-grandma on my dad's side whose name was Alice Jones. Also, on my dad's side, my grandma (who was married to a Jones of course, then married a Bingham some time later), had their kids who are Jones's, and my cousin, Sarah Jones, also married a Bingham, and they named their daughter Alice. I think there are more twists but that's all I know of.

1 comment:

Cali said...

Oh and all the Williams and William R's.