Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A stretch? Hmm

I've been thinking some about what else I could study in grad school, if I chose not to do accounting.  Geoff has made the switch from accounting to social work, and he is totally for embarking on a different path, so he helped me to think of some things that I might be good at or might enjoy doing.  My concern with accounting is that there will always be a point that I get completely bored and will turn 40 and hate life.  I enjoy accounting in general thoug, I just get so bored.  This might sound really far out there and don't laugh at me, k?  It's just a thought, but I was thinking about pursuing some kind of psychology or sociology degree and becoming a sort of women's advocate.  It would be neat to help women who have come from abusive pasts and need help getting on their own feet.  Geoff said it's like grieft counseling, which sounds about right and it could include all sorts of things like loss of family, divorce, infertility, abusive relationships, codependency, drugs/alcohol, etc. I suppose the list could be endless. 

Anyway, the best reason I could think of for pursuing that course is that I feel strongly about women being able to be independent, happy, and healthy.  And I would enjoy the classes, and have always loved learning about that stuff.  The rest of it intimidates the crap out of me.  Because I'll be honest, sometimes women drive me nuts.  They can be so petty, catty, easily offended, and stubborn grudge holders.  I'm not at all saying that I don't ever possess those traits or need some forgiveness myself, but when I encounter them it usually turns me off to pursuing a friendship with them, and I don't even feel bad about it either.  On the other hand, women can be the most warm, genuine, caring, selfless people.  And I think there is a lot of strength in them and want to be able to help those that need it find that strength.

So, there's that.  And, the biggest reason to not do it, is that I can get very intimidated and uncomfortable if someone tries to talk to me too seriously about their problems.  Not always, but sometimes I just plain don't know what to say or do, and the supposed intimacy is uncomfortable.  It's sad, but it's how it is.  I wonder if I'm able to learn about what is happening and have some training in the field, that that would come more natural to me.  If I care enough about it if I'll be able to overcome the intimidation. 

One more, the accounting course seems reasonably secure.  I don't know the exact path my life would take, but there would be something.  With psychology/sociology, it's more unknown to me.

So anyway, it's totally just a thought; the hurdles to becoming a therapist are much bigger, I think.  I'm still taking auditing next month and preparing for the GMAT.  I'll talk to my friend who's a therapist and get her thoughts on it.

No comments: