Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Thoughts

K I know I'm writing about this way too much, but I've been reading like crazy and now there's a ton of stuff rolling around in my head, and this seems like a fine place to get it out. 

Out of the three Institutes I looked into (Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ireland, Scotland, and England & Wales) requirement differ, but the basic pattern is the same.  Get accepted to the "programme" and find an authorized trainer to work for for a minimum of three years (depending on prior experience).  While in training, attend classes - times & dates set by the Institute.  While training and attending classes, pass a series of examinations.  Upon completion of training, classes, and exams, you are officially eligible for an ACA (or CA if you're in Scotland) and membership of that Institute.  (The Institutes are the AICPA equiv.)  The trainer, because they are authorized, not only pay you a salary for working for them, they also pay for your tuition.  Sounds like a pretty great deal to me!  Guaranteed work, paid tuition, experience, all in one. 

The big difference between CPA requirements and these three institute requirements, is that there are no hard and fast rules on education prior to entering training.  You can enter training with only some college (called a "school leaver"), or with a degree in something totally unrelated to accounting.  Although, I gather that most of the students they admit have completed their graduate studies. - and I imagine that you'd have better opportunities if you've done that, although it was never spoken on the websites.  And if you don't have a UK-approved degree, which I won't, since I'm in the USA, I will have to send my transcripts to a place called NARIC, who will then write me back and tell me what my degree is equivalent to in the U.K., and make suggestions for further education, if needed.  Application for training will have to be done about 14 months in advance.

I've also been reading a lot about the pros and cons of living in Scotland - some of the cons were a big enough deal to make me consider harder, for example, the cost of living is about double that of the U.S., though less than London.  It seems to be very difficult to find suitable rentals or open a bank account unless you've already been there a long time.  And, it's best to move to Scotland only if you've already been offered a job, otherwise work can be difficult to find.  I'm sure that varies across industries, but one thing I know is that Unemployed Husband = Unhappy Husband.  (I would be fine since we wouldn't even be there if I weren't in training).  I would hate for him to have a miserable experience due to lack of work.  Though social work is needed pretty much everywhere, so I can't be sure what would happen on that.  But reviews of expats who live in Scotland - peoplt that it has worked out for, obviously - mostly report that they love it.

Haven't gotten that far on Ireland yet, except I've learned that there's a lot of hoops to jump through if you want to bring your pet.  Lots more to research, but we've got time.  I've decided that no matter what happens, it is still a good idea to get a master's degree in the U.S.  If something doesn't work out, or if we do move away for a few years and decide to come back, then I will want to have that.  So it will be awhile yet but that is still the course at this point.

No comments: