Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I hate you, Colorado

Okay, I'm going to have a little fit here, just warning you.  This is exactly what I will NOT miss about this job:

Today I recieved two notices from the state of Colorado, saying that we did not file Withholding tax returns for the periods of November 2010, or January 2011, and if we don't respond to the notice within 30 days, there will be penalties and interest.

The major problem with this: Not only have the taxes all been paid, we are not even a monthly filer.  We make tax deposits twice each week (by ACH credit, approved by their department), and file an annual return in February along with the W2's.  It has been done this way since before I started this job in 2008.  So how in freaking heck do they think we are missing monthly returns for November and January????

I get on the phone to call them about it.  I spend 15 minutes going through all of their dumb automated choices.  I finally get to the right one, and there's a message that says they cannot accept my call right now due to high call volume and they hang up on me.  So I go to the website and find an "email us" option.  I click it, find the subject that I need to email them about, and there is no link that I can choose to email them.  Why have an "email us" option if you do not provide a way to email you!! 

Why threaten to penalize us if we don't contact you within 30 days, and then not provide a way for us to contact you!!!

I am very consciencious about paying all of the taxes in full and on time.  OCD, even.  So it's just this whole idea of constantly having to be on the defense for offenses we didn't even commit.  And dealing with the asinine taxing authorities.  Constantly feeling like I have to fight with them over their stupid mistakes.  This is the reward for being an honest taxpayer.  I do take it personally.  It really, really, really bothers me.  I will be so happy to not have to deal with this crap anymore.

K I'm done!  Thanks!

No comments: