Sunday, September 30, 2007

The whole dern weekend

Tonight we went to a fireside given by one of the guys that wrote "Between Husband and Wife." (I can't remember his name cuz I'm just bad with names). It was SO good! I can't re-give the fireside, but he said the most basic way to help a marriage is to help the saints live the gospel. He talked about the main reasons that the prophets have said that marriage fails, versus the main reasons that secular knowledge says marriage fails. (And the importance of saying "I'm sorry.") At first he talked a lot about going to the temple, then the endowment, then the "apprenticeship" (or, marriage), then he started talking about Moses and got into some doctrinal stuff. I wondered why he would need to talk about the creation at a marriage fireside, but when he finished up his talk I understood better. He was trying to point out that we need to have an understanding of the complete picture, beginning to end, which is what will help us stay centered when Satan comes tempting, as he inevitably will. And he was funny, he kept cracking jokes - an entertainer. But yeah, it was good.

Also, in sacrament meeting today there was a talk given by a guy - probably the most honest talk I've ever heard come out of someone's mouth in church. Well, first he gave a regular talk, then as he was finishing up, he said, "Well, let me be honest here." Then he just started opening up and spilling his guts. (It was a little uncomfortable at first, but as he went on it became more and more powerful). He talked about how he'd missed church for the last two years because he works a 12-hour shift on Saturday nights, and felt that Sunday morning was best spent sleeping. To me, that would be a valid reason to stay home, but he talked about how as time went on, it affected him. "Line upon line, precept upon precept," he said. Then he hit what he called "rock bottom", was just confused about everything, when he realized that he needed to make some changes. He realized that he really needed to be there for his family, he needed to be a leader and an example for his wife and children. (They have two young ones and another on the way). He changed his schedule around so he wouldn't have to work Saturday nights anymore so that he could come to church with his family, and he started reading the scriptures again, every day, and all that other stuff. But the part that stood out to me the most was the "line upon line, precept upon precept" part. It just re-emphasized (funny how I forget these things) the importance of the little things. How it's so important not to take them for granted or let them slip, because they'll just keep slipping until they're gone. I fear I have started in that direction, so perhaps it's time for me to make some assessments too.

So it's been a good couple of days for getting things back into perspective. I have realized again how much I love my sweet husband. What a good man he is, and how lucky I am to have him and how I better take darn good care of him! :)

A few other things that have happened in the last few days: (in no order of importance)

Our Hollywood video is closing down, now we'll have to go to Provo to rent movies. We canceled our MVP just in time. Anyway, their entire inventory is on sale now, so I bought a few of my favorite movies: Bruce Almighty, the Polar Express (that's a classic we'll be able to watch with our kids when we eventually have them. And if DVD players still exist.) and last but not least, The Mighty. It's a little bit of an older film, but it's so good! If you're looking for a movie that's just good, I recommend it highly.

And Reggie, our old cocker-spaniel puppy, has found a new home. Some of Aunt Nan's neighbors, actually. (she has now helped us place both of our little doggies). They're a family with six kids ages 4 to 14, and they've been looking for a dog for a whole year, just trying to find a breed that's the right size, right temperament, etc. He'll be an indoor dog, so they might have to get a doggie door. But with all those kids, there'll always be someone to give him attention, and the mom is a stay-at-home mom, so they probably won't be locking him up in a crate for long periods of time or anything. Anyway, this will be the best home that our baby has had yet, and mom said she felt really, really good about it. So, I'm very very happy he found a good home. Oh I worried so much that he would go to a crappy home and get passed around and around. Friday I went to spanish fork (so I could go to the hospital with mom to see grandma -she just had knee surgery), and I stopped at mom's on the way home and said goodbye to Reggie. I didn't know he'd be placed the very next day, but I am so glad I went and said goodbye to him. I sat on the cement floor in the laundry room and just held him. It is so strange that I got so attached to that dog, but I had to try hard not to cry when I walked out for the last time. I'm glad he's in a good home. Mom called them today to ask how his first night was, and they said it was fine, and he's already comfortable like it's always been his own house. They said the kids got up at 6:00 this morning and wanted to take him for a walk, but it was too dark so they had to wait until 7 to walk him. And he's been on at least three walks today. ha ha.

2 comments:

DeAnna said...

If you need anyone to sympathize with the quick and extreme attachments to pets, I am your women!

Cali said...

Funny how they grow on you, huh?