Thursday, October 4, 2007

The great blue pumpkin

I had a job at Hollywood Video back in highschool. It was fun and I actually enjoyed working with the customers for the most part, except there was one thing that would really bother me. When you tried to be nice to someone and sometimes they would never look at you. You'd make conversation, and they would talk back and everything, but they wouldn't look at you. It drove me nuts.

When I first met Geoff, one of the things I noticed right off the bat was how nice he was to people that waited on us - waitresses, gas station or grocery store clerks, anyone who crossed our path. He would not only be respectful to them but he'd make conversation with them, ask them how their day was, etc. I'm a little on the shy side and that was not something I normally did, so it was amazing to me the way these complete strangers opened up to Geoff, told him about their job, what was happening at home, their kids, etc. (Sometimes the conversations get pretty comical, but that's for another day.) I thought that was so cool, you know? Since we're all in this world together and all, why not get to know people? (I know cheesy, you can handle it.)

So I was waiting in line at Subway for lunch today, and I probably waited less than 5 minutes (a short wait at Subway, there were only two people in front of me and no one else was there). But the girl that was helping me just looked like she was having a crappy day, you know, glaring at everyone and everything. So I asked her how was work going? For the splittest of seconds she looked like she wanted to strangle me for asking her a question, then she relaxed and said, "Oh it's been awful! It was crazy-busy today, lines out the door, and we kept running out of everything... well you can see." I sympathized with catering to long lines (remembering Hollywood Video) and we talked for a minute. As she wrapped my sandwhich up, she said she was just going to give it to me, because of the wait, (what wait?), and if I wanted to grab a bag of chips I could, and gave me a drink. I was kind of surprised since no one just gives me food when I order it, but I said thanks and I appreciate it. Well, I guess it paid off to be nice that time, it was kind of cool.

Also, I was going to try and figure out how to change the battery, but my Dad wanted to come up and help me do it, which was way cool of him. (Geoff would be working until late late). The second we put the new battery in, it started, first try. :)


Check out this blue pumpkin. One of Geoff's co-workers grew it and gave it to him. I put the white one next to it so you can see the contrast in color.

How do you grow a blue pumpkin?

Also - what is everyone dressing up as for Halloween? I'm just curious. (I promise I won't steal your idea.) :)



2 comments:

Cali said...

Apparently no one wants to tell me... :)

Anonymous said...

Your dad wants to be the Big Lebowski... wear a bowling shirt, get a long wig and carry around a White Russian... (or a glass of milk)

I think I'll stick with the "static cling" idea.