Thursday, November 1, 2007

At First Glance...

What do these look like?


They are actually candy. Every Halloween at my work, everyone brings in their kids, grandkids, neighbors kids, whoever - and they trick or treat to all of our cubicles. I wasn't exactly looking forward to this as it was a busy afternoon and I'm not very good at doing the "Ohhhh so cuuuuuute!" thing, especially if I have to do it several times in a row. So, it being Halloween and me having no candy for the little trick-or-treaters, I ran to the nearest Wal-Mart and grabbed the nearest, cheapest back of candy I could find... a bunch of "Candy Sticks" in boxes with Spiderman on the front. Well, come to find out, when you open the boxes, the candy looks like that. (They aren't even flavored, they're just pure sugar). Oh well I gave them away anyway, what else could I do? I just hope none of the parents saw them and wondered what moron at work gave all the kids fake cigarettes.


After work, I went to class, and after class, I went to register for next semester's classes. Geoff and I both have Saturday classes beginning January. We REALLY aren't going anywhere once it starts. We are celebrating our quickly-terminating "freedom" by getting away to Park City over Thanksgiving break. Yay!


Anyway, after registering I was going to go to a party in Spanish Fork, and stopped home only to shower real fast. My mind was so engrossed with classes that I totally forgot it was Halloween (again). The second I got in the house and turned all lights on, there was a knock at the door. I peeked out the hole and saw about ten kids and three moms outside, all dressed up holding their treat bags. I didn't have any candy at home. I slunk away quietly, hoping they would go away, but a few minutes later the doorbell rang again. They knew I was home - they weren't going anywhere until they got some candy.


I opened the door and was bombarded with little hands holding open bags up to me. I told them to hold on a second and ran to the kitchen to see what was there. Could I give them chocolate weight loss shakes? Probably not. Eggs? No. Aha! A box of dried fruit packages would work. I handed them their packages of dried fruit, and they took them with disappointed looks and walked away. "Hey," I wanted to say, "I just spend 15 bucks on you, you're welcome!" (Those boxes of dried fruit are not cheap). After they left I locked the door and turned off all the lights in the house and went to shower. Amazingly enough, I could still hear the doorbell ringing while showering. Whatever...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha cal, that is hilarious! and I like your sweater you're wearing for the UVCC thing. I'll have to borrow it. ;) and I want to see your jacket too.

DeAnna said...

Okay when you asked what they looked like...cigaretts was not what I was thinking. ha ha! (think feminin hygeine).

Cali said...

Oh no! ha ha, well that's probably just as bad... lol

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I definitely thought tampons.