Thursday, January 10, 2008

Irregardless, I have spaghetti arms

Well I just got through with browsing a whole bunch of people's blogs (yes, I know, I know, very stalker-esque. Way to go Cal.) There sure were a lot of warm fuzzies going on, you know? Life is perfect, the kids are perfect, the S.O. is perfect, etc. etc. Then here's my page with two swear words in the header. I guess I am just different that way, you know? At one time I would've probably worried about stuff like that, but who really cares at this point? Life goes on. Anywho, I am aware that it's been awhile since anything remotely interesting has graced this page. It's the result of a pretty good schedule - I've recently had a couple of people (a couple, not just the one some of you might be thinking of) remark that we are crazy for taking it on. Perhaps we are. I'm pretty sure I've known people who do much more than what we are doing though. Irregardless, this is a little of what our days look like: (The word "irregardless" is completely nonsensical, pointless, and self-defeating and I think it's so funny when people use it. Also feel free to make fun of me for using stupid words.)

Cali:
Mon: 8am-5pm work, 6-7:30pm class
Tue: 8am-5pm work, 6-7:30pm class
Wed: 8am-5pm work, 6-7:30pm class
Thr: 8am-5pm work, 6-7:30pm class
Fri: 8am-5pm work
Sat: 10:30-1:00 class...Sat night: date night!!

Geoff:
Mon: 7am-11am class, 2:30-11pm work
Tue: 7am-8am class, 2:30-11pm work
Wed: 8am-11am class, 2:30-11pm work
Thr: 7am-8am class, 2:30-11pm work
Fri: 7am-11pm class, 2:30-11pm work
Sat: 8am-10:30am class...Sat night: date night!!

Geoff squeezes in homework and errands between school and work mid-day, and I squeeze it in after class at night (in addition to going to the gym if I possibly can, and of course the pesky errands, such as grocery shopping etc.) Of course you can see that this schedule doesn't leave much room for cleaning the house or doing laundry, not to mention have friends, or take vacations. Even if Geoff got work off Friday night so we could go out of town for a night, there's still the classes on Sat. morning. Oh also - our church just got moved to the 9 a.m. schedule on Sunday, so that pretty much kills any chance to really sleep in, EVER. (Of course my sleep-ins are always to noon, so maybe this will be good for me.)

But you know what, I can't complain cuz we picked it. I guess you could say we just want to get through school, pronto. It's a pretty darn good thing we don't have kids yet, because this would be impossible. I bet you can also tell how cherished our Saturday nights are, since that's our chance to get out and play! And spend time together. We discovered a long time ago that date nights are necessary for marital health. I look forward to them all week. :)

I also, knowing how having a full-time job makes it hard to focus totally on school, I don't want us to have to work while in graduate school, either of us. That's a pretty lofty goal I agree, but I think it can be done. There are plans in place.

Anyway, we stayed up super late a couple of nights ago to work on math together (which I am proud to say I totally understood chapter one, thankyouverymuch), and the next morning I was totally, and completely out of it. I think I had been laying on my stomach, sleeping, with my arms up by my head, when the alarm went off. It scared me so bad that I leaped out of bed, blurry eyed and heart racing, and went to the alarm clock to turn it off, and realized that my arms were completely useless. They were dead to the world. I tried and tried to push the snooze button or something, but there was absolutely no strength to be found, and the alarm had started beeping double-time, sending me into a half-asleep panic mode. (Doesn't logically make sense, but it's possible). Geoff later told me that I had kind of freaked out: "Geoffff, my arrrrrrrms are asleeeeep! Bothhhhhhh of them!!!" Finally, desperate to make the beeping stop, I let my useless arms drop to my sides and bent down, oh so graciously I'm sure, and hit snooze with my chin. I then dropped into bed, exhausted, and waited for the feeling to reappear. (It reminded me of something a dance teacher in high school would always say: Watch out for spaghetti arms! spaghetti arms!)

Sigh. It's just time for a new alarm clock - I'm very surprised this one has survived as long as it has. And maybe we should put it on Geoff's side of the bed. He is so great to put up with me. He's a better person than I am. I am incredibly lucky to have him. I do get bored once in awhile just with life in general, and the schedule and the monotony sometimes get me down, but marrying him was the best thing that ever happened, and will ever happen to me.

Even with being busy, I still manage to find "blog time." I guess you could say it's relaxing.

No comments: