Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oregonia

To answer some questions... yes that was a song by Edwin M. (and a good one too!), and Geoff is from Umatilla, OR. It's a little town about 5 minutes from the Washington border in the upper-right corner of OR. Speaking of, I really wanted to post about our trip.

Thursday night after we got there, we had dinner at his mom's house, and she made us some DELICIOUS steak. I want to try and make it myself, it didn't look very hard. (Of course I say that now but we all know I can't make frosting). Saturday we spent the day in Tri-cities with Geoff's dad. It was so much fun! He took us to eat at this delicious little mexican restaurant, then we "toured" a winery. We didn't get an official tour because it's not the right season, but we did look around.



Those are the fields behind us. After the winery, we went to THE chocolate store. It is the chocolate store to end all chocolate stores. We sat there and gabbed for awhile. On our way back to OR we stopped at the McNary dam because I wanted to tour it. I think the dam is a little boring for the people who live there but I thought it was neat. It's one of 10 dams along the Columbia River, and the largest I believe.

Geoff and Mike at the dam. (Hope you don't mind that I put a pic of you in there Mike!) It was really windy. This is just a small portion of the outside. We also got to see the pumps inside but they didn't allow cameras!


I also got to see Geoff's old high school. We walked to the gym, the basketball arena or whatever it's called, and looked across to the other side, and "Viking Club" was painted all over the bleachers. The Viking Club was a club that he and another kid started, like a group that goes to all the games and cheers, they even made T-shirts and got quite a group involved I guess. Anyway he was pretty surprised to see it was still there, and had a designated cheering section no less. I tried to take pics but they didn't work out. Anyway we had a really good time hanging out with Mike that day.

We also visited grandma. She was so cute, she made brownies for us. We watched a compilation of home videos that his mom put together (I have seen them already, so I actually fell asleep while they were on, woops!). She kept farting and saying "woops" really quietly, it was so funny. She is getting really old and I guess Geoff figured this might be the last time he saw her. Ever since her husband died you can tell she's just not as.... well how do you say it? I guess think how you would feel if you were in your old age and your spouse that you had been with since your 20's passed away. You can tell she was feeling that way. She is such a sweet lady though. On my birthday last August she called and left me the cutest message; I still have it in my phone. Here she is.

Some other things we did were have dinner with an old buddy, breakfast with mom, and more visiting, which was good. Our hotel was pretty awesome. The room itself wasn't as nice as the one we stayed in at Park City, but they give you two free drinks every night between specific hours, and a free breakfast buffet every morning. (And it was a pretty decent buffet too, not like those dumb complimentary 'breakfasts' some places do). We also went to the swimming pool and jacuzzi, and gift shop. Sadly, we did not use the gym on this one. (wahhhh?) I do enjoy staying with family, but it was also really nice to have our own space to unwind at the end of the day.... you know... you don't have to worry about leaving your underwear lying around and whatever.

AAAAaaannnnnddddd I love my husband so much! Nicely we did not get sick of each other on this trip, in fact we had a lot of fun. I love road trips with him. Here's a few more pics, for kicks and giggles!


Geoff being goofy.


Driving over the columbia river. The picture really doesn't do it justice it was really beautiful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to own a 'winery' but apparently it's against our religion, or something...

The Squires' Fam said...

We have a winery near our house. I have always wanted to go. Our friends say have always said that it's a blast. I also wonder if the reason that they find it such a blast is because they are drinkers. I don't think we would find it as much fun as they do. It's kind of weird out here in TN and the Army we don't know anyone that doesn't drink other than people from church. So we stay in on the weekends. I never knew how crazy people get on the weekends until I moved out of Utah.
By the way I love the pics. I am super jealous of your beautiful flawless skin!
My family is from Salem/Keizer area. That is also where i lived when i lived in Oregon.

Anonymous said...

Glad to get all (most) of the details about your trip. Looks like you had a great time and I'm sure it was good to see Geoff's Grandma and spend some time with her. Thanks again for all the yummy treats you brought us! Mine and Erik's were consumed that night. I love good peanut brittle!

M said...

I LOVE OREGON! All the pictures you took were soooo beautiful. Its neat that you guys got to get away a little bit. Sometimes school gets oh so monotonous that you just want to DIE . . . so a good trip can do one good.

Denise said...

Hey you two kids! I had such a great time with you guys. The only thing wrong was that it was way to short! Of course I bawled all day when you left!! We did't even take pics of us together.... :( I wanted to but just slipped my mind dang it!! Well at least I have all those from my trip there last summer. I LOVE those!!! I LOVE you two tons!! And miss you tons!!