Monday, September 15, 2008

Teeth falling out

Last night I had a dream that I was at my grandma's house when my teeth started falling out. I thought, "oh no, I need to get to the dentist fast" and I grabbed a baggie for my fallen teeth and started to walk down spanish fork mainstreet toward the dentists office. (My dentist is in Provo). All this time, more teeth are falling out. Everyone once in awhile I have to spit another couple of teeth into my baggie and I could feel the empty spot where the teeth once were. As I'm walking down SF main (whch is as busy with walkers at new york city), I pass a car rental place, and decide a rental car would get me to my dentist much faster than walking. I wait in line, and the girl behind the counter asks, "Is this for one or two people?" I reply it's just one, and she points behind her at a glass wall, behind which is a tiny car. She says "someone just rented that one, we'll give you one like it." So I walk behind the glass wall to pick up my rental car. I sit on a seat and suddenly the car is build around me, first the wheels roll up under me, then the steering wheel appears, then the straps go over my head, then the top of the car. Except there is something wrong with my car; it has no roof. There are only bars like the kind you see on dune buggies, and my head pokes through the top of them. "Oh well," I decide, "I really need to get to the dentist." By now my baggie was almost all the way full and I was losing mouthfulls of teeth every few minutes. I didn't even know a person had that many teeth to lose! So I pull out onto mainstreet and realize that my car is powered by my pedaling, and the brakes are the lever in the center that you step on that is completely inadequate. I thought to myself that this wasn't safe, that I would probably be killed if I drove this on the freeway, so I took it back, despite the fact that I was losing my teeth by the minute and was afraid I'd never get them back. So I took it back and asked for another car, and that's all I remember.

Curious, I looked up the meanings when I got up this morning. Grandma's house represents love, security, wisdom, and protection. "Teeth falling out" is supposedly very common, and represents insecurity, often at a time of transition from one phase of life to another, or may mean that you are insecure about your looks or are afraid of making a fool of yourself. The car represents your ambition, drive and ability to navigate from one phase of life to another, and is an indication of your dependence and degree of control you have over your life.

If these things have any bearing at all, I'm in trouble, ha ha. It means I had such a secure life, then all of a sudden something bad happens (I'm thinking it will be losing my job or something), then I'll try to make my way in the world and be, or feel, completely inadequate and out of control. I don't give too much weight to dream meanings, though. Except there was that time that I dreamed about having five babies all at once and then my life changed for the better a week later (with the new job). You never know.

3 comments:

alison said...

hahaha! That was so funny! I dreamed once that my teeth fell out too, and when I woke up in the morning, I could feel all the pieces of teeth in my mouth. Turns out the "pieces of teeth" I felt was a broken up cough drop that I put in my mouth the night before. It scared me!

Maybe the transition or phase this time will be that you'll find out you're preggo with 5 babies.

Cali said...

Oh gosh I hope not.

Billy said...

Cali...

I dreamed my hair fell out...and it did. DAMN!!

"Uncle Billy"