Friday, October 31, 2008

Apples and Oranges... or fruit salad?

So picture two different scenarios: (I couldn't decide whether to post this or not)

One – you have the chance to get all the education you want, freely, build your career until you are where you want to be, have the satisfaction of accomplishment and competence in a job you love, be financially free – enough to have a nice home and spend years traveling and seeing different parts of the world you always wanted to see, live wherever you want, do whatever you want, anytime.

Two – you are in your 60’s and are having a giant family dinner; kids, kids’ spouses, grandkids, good food, maybe a little football, being happily surrounded by lots of family.

Is it possible for a girl to have both of these things?

Biological clocks run out. Yearning for certain things runs out. But maybe sometimes it doesn’t. At some point I’m going to have to decide where to go next… and Oh is it HARD! I don’t want to end up having regret for something I did or didn’t do.

(I know this would be an easy thing for some. Maybe I’ll be eating my words in a few years, one never knows. Also I know the future isn’t solely at my discretion, either… there is another half to this marriage). :)

6 comments:

NaDell said...

I think it's nice to have family around, but you can do that in your 70's and 80's and 90's too. Obviously, when your older though, your grandkids will be too.
Also, if you are only planning a handful of kids (not 10), it's not too big a deal if you wait until you are closer to 30. You're still very young.
You're almost done with school and that will help you to be a good frugal mom, right?
You can travel with kids or go on trips while they are at grandma's or wait until they are bigger..... There are so many possibilities.

Tisha Morgan said...

I have a lot of those same thoughts. I wonder how it can possibly work out to do both, but to be honest, having the financial abundance and being able to travel all over is probably less important than the family part right? I think you can have both with compromise... who knows.

DeAnna said...

When in doubt...pray about it, you will know what is right. God knows what will make you the happiest and that is his goal, so you can always trust him.

Anonymous said...

I agree that you can have both... with a little compromise. You got married young enough that there's still time to finish school and have a year or two of working before settling down to a family. As much as I'd love grandkids, you need to feel ready and not rushed. Some people will disagree with me, but it's a personal choice and you'll know when the time is right. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for putting your education first. It's hard to raise kids and go to school at the same time, and it will give your kids more stability when you feel satisfied in your education. You guys are smart to get that over with.

STANLEY said...

we should probably consult with the evil queen Zarthania and her daughter, princess Mulasha.

Ang said...

Cali...thanks so much for posting this! I feel kinda normal because I have so many of the same thoughts.