Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Accounting questions

IT SNOWED TODAY!

We had a nice long fall this year at least; it was nice.

I felt like I'd drunk half a bottle of cough-syrup for most of the day today, though indeed I did not. It's hard to work when you feel high! ha ha.

Well the "high" or whatever it was started last night before I blogged because there was actually more I wanted to write about the graduate program. It's going to be a pretty tight squeeze to get in under the wire. For it to happen, first, I have to be able to stay enrolled in and pass all 15 credits next semester... I hope to know within the first couple of weeks if that is going to be possible for me. Next, I have to get a good enough score on the GMAT, then finish the capstone and the rest of the classes during the summer. Before I heard that the program begins only in the fall, I had looked forward to taking a break for maybe a year or so. Also, I had actually wanted to do the MACC, not an MBA, but MBA is the only degree offered in this program. The reason this one looks good is because it is right across the highway from our house, (which means no having to move or sell our condo to find another place), AND you can work a full-time job while going, which would allow me to keep mine, which is what I want. And it's not like an MBA is a bad thing, so I'm not totally against it.

SO, keeping these things in mind, I'm going to push full-throttle for this MBA program, and if it doesn't work out, I'll take a few semesters off and either try again or find something else. Maybe I could commute to UofU and do a macc up there (a pain!), or maybe I could get into BYU (never been too excited about the thought of going there, but we'll see what becomes available at that time).

I just realized if I do get into the Utah State program, I'll have followed the exact same educational path as my boss. Though I don't expect to be quite where he is even when I've finished, of course. I don't think he knows, but I really really look up to him for his educational and career accomplishments, and his mature professionalism, and that he has such an amazing ability to think critically about things and see an issue from so many different angles, so that there is never anything missed. I hope to be like that someday. To be able to work with and receive instruction from such great role-models (both him and my "other" boss, the CFO) is such a golden opportunity and I hope to learn much from them in my time here.

PS - in case you didn't know - I LOVE MY JOB! Our CFO is in the process of teaching me how to audit the GL (just the tax liability accounts since those are the ones I use the most), and we've just been over it a little bit so far but I love it! How geeky am I!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're all "geeks" in our own little way Cals. You're definately a numbers geek. I'm just a geek. That was like reading Japanese. I feel stoopider now.

Did I say how proud I am of you and Geoff? Smart kids! And hard working!

It'll all pay off someday.

Jax said...

Okay, I remembered I wanted to say something about this. First, you're crazy for what you put yourself through. But, you're also dedicated and smart, so that's also a good thing. ;-)

Besides that, I wanted to give you my recommendation on a GMAT study guide. I had to take that test for my master's program. It's really not so bad. There was a very smart friend of mine who paid a bunch to take one of those GMAT courses, and I scored well and higher than he did by studying one rather simple and concise book for one week before the test came.

The book was, interesting enough, _GMAT for Dummies_. It had everything I needed to know and was a perfect refresher. I didn't do any other studying besides this. The test was Saturday, I think, and I read the book and worked through its exercises starting on Sunday or Monday and leading up to test day.

Disclaimer: YMMV (Your mileage may vary, of course.)

Kayt and Brian Bell said...

So, is it bad that I only work ( don't go to school) and find myself utterly exhausted most of the time. . ahaha! I admire you girl! Rock on.