Thursday, January 1, 2009

Frankie

Last night in celebration of the new year we laid in bed and watched a Knievil jump the "volcano" in Las Vegas. Boring? I beg to differ. You see, we had brand new sheets on the bed. Crisp, clean, cool, soft, and ultimately very sexy. (ooh la la) They were a gift from Geoff's mom. Quite an improvement over the cheap, rough, leopard-print sheets we bought before we were married that we still have and use. You know, other people have to buy us things like sheets and towels, because we never consciously think about getting new ones.

Today we slept in, cleaned house, and went to dinner with mom & dad at Fuddrucker's. My parents are fun to go out with. As we were coming home, I accidentally said "gaggle it", instead of "google it". Ha ha.

Our dog, Frankie, is blind. Well, he's mom & dad's dog, but we got him when I was twelve and he was a little mini-schnauzer puppy. His eyesight's been getting clouded over the past year, but in the last day or two the light's gone completely out. He can no longer go up or down the stairs to the backyard without falling down, and he got stuck behind the woodpile in the backyard and couldn't see his way out, until he finally cried in frustration and mom went to get him. Poor thing. They think he might have a doggie-version of diabetes or something, because he's been drinking three times as much as usual, and losing weight. They are taking him to the vet tomorrow. If the vet can make any suggestions that will help, short of an expensive surgery, then they will do what they can, otherwise they will probably have to put him to sleep. There is no one home during the day to make sure he gets what he needs. (He will even need help going to the bathroom now). Neither mom or dad seemed very emotional when telling us about it, but that will be a hard thing to do if it comes to it. He is such a patient and lovable little guy, and he's been around for twelve years. I might never see him again. It's so hard to get attached to pets and then have to let them go. Or watch them suffer in their old age. Or both.

7 comments:

Diane said...

That's so sad about your dog. I am a HUGE animal lover, so I hate hearing stuff like that. I hope there is something they can do at the vet's office.
We had a cat for 13 years. When we had to put her down it was like losing a family member :(
Keep us updated!

The Squires' Fam said...

oh cali i am so sorry about 2 years ago we had to put patches to sleep she was to old and having a very hard painful life i felt really bad about it but good at the same time because i knew that she was no longer suffering frankie is such a fun dog i wish him and your family gthe best

NaDell said...

I LOVE fresh sheet day. I'd wash and change them more, but I'm too lazy and I don't want them to wear out too fast. Even better, if you don't have to buy them.
Sorry about your dog. That's really sad.

Anonymous said...

That's so sad! I know people say they're just dogs, but 12 years kind of qualifies him as a member of the family I think.

Sue said...

Poor Frankie. But lucky he has a nice family that has cared for him all this time. I hope the vet can help.

JohnnyB said...

Yes, what Susan said, Frankie is lucky.

As an aside, thanks for including me on your "daily grooves".

Anonymous said...

That's so sad to hear! I remember we were at a park the first time I saw Frankie. He was TINY. Hope he can at least make it out until Alison is home. Or maybe it's better he goes peacefully while she is gone? eeek, I hate pets dying.
On a happier note, I love sheets! New sheets/freshly clean sheets are the best.