Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cognitive preferences

Well it's 5:30 and I was going to use my in-between hour to get ahead on the reading for tonight's governmental accounting class, but Geoff has el gov book, so I guess I'll just have to use my hour to do something I enjoy! Like blog! I've been meaning to write about the human-performance meeting we had - the one I was curious about? Well, take a look at the picture below.



That's the view of a brain from the top down. I know it's so high-tech. (Jackson would love that. He caught me writing on a paper-calendar once and gave me an earful). It was about our individual preferences for cognitive processing. Not necessarily our personality traits, or our strengths and weaknesses, but preferences.

Well, he gave us a little history about the study some guy did who cut people's brains in half to try and cure epilepsy, and the things they discovered upon doing so. Then he got into that diagram.

Logic - Order - Emotion - Vision. If you score a 1 in a category, it means you'd prefer to avoid it. A 2 means you don't love it but you can stand it. A 3 means you strongly prefer that category. Pluses and Minuses are just nuances on the number you recieve. Mine and Geoff's scores are as follows:

I was very surprised at Geoff's results. Surprised that he is more right-brained than left, and who would've thought he'd be the emotional one? ha ha. I've always considered him the least needy person on the planet. He actually likes his space, in fact. Instructor said high emotional scores mean that trust is very important. Which I guess is sooo true because he just hates to think that I don't trust him. And when I first met him, he did want to be a nurse. I think he would be great at it, although I think there were some classes that changed his mind. But you never know.

And I guess mine makes sense; I am in the right major. I figure it means I like to have order even if my "order" makes no sense? Hmmm.

The instructor said if the results are correct than I need to quit being so focused on the day-to-day order, or schedule, (done, done, and off to the next), and spend more time with Geoff, because he needs that. Ha ha, I think I can live with that. It is my favorite thing to do after all.

There was much more to glean from this lesson, but I'm not going into it right now.

6 comments:

Diane said...

You just made me so scared to start college haha!

Jax said...

Yes, very high tech indeed. Ha ha ha. Okay, it's true that the diagram you have there could be made nice and digital very quickly (under five minutes) in a program like PowerPoint. But you know, sometimes plain old pen and paper do just fine, too, especially for one-off tasks.

Hmmm, we've been thinking about putting my wife through nursing school actually.

Kimble Family said...

I have to say...this was my most favorite GH day yet! Now I wish I would have asked my hubby to take it also

Kimble Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeAnna said...

ooh, I want to take the test...I think stuff like that is so interesting. I think I have taken the color code test like 12 times and read all of the love languages etc. Maybe I should become a neurologist...maybe not since I'm not sure how to spell that word ha ha ha.!

Tisha Morgan said...

Our results were almost exactly the same, mine were 2, 3, 2+, 2. I guess great minds do think alike!