Sunday, March 1, 2009

But what if we all become alcoholics - let's blame the law!

Has anyone else heard of this: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11800501. Wow, now that is just a little bit embarrassing. If someone is really afraid that just being a witness to the pouring of drinks is going to break down their child's personal standards of not drinking and take away their ability to choose for themselves, then by gum, take them to one of the other thousands of restaurants that don't openly serve alcohol. There is no way that is ever going to pass, but seriously.

The woman quoted in the article speaks of family values. I admire family values. When I have my own family, I hope to be able to teach them values too. I want a strong family bond that fosters love and respect and responsibility. And hopefully, they can withstand seeing someone else make choices that are contrary to what they feel is right and still be a whole person. And I kind of think that means not constantly running to cover the kiddie's eyes for them.

I guess it's hard for me to speak though without the experience of having children myself. Who knows what kind of mother I'll be without seeing it. We might be faced with things we wouldn't have imagined, I really don't know. I am just thankful that I had parents who raised me the way they did. They gave me everything I could want or need, pointed me in a direction, and let me go. (I did scare them once or twice, but I am standing on my own two feet and am still alive.) I think Geoff's parents were much the same.

4 comments:

Ang said...

Welcome to the UC...

NaDell said...

So they want to make it so no restaurant can serve any alcohol? Really? That's kinda dumb. I mean, obviously, we don't, but when you go with your kids, you just (if they even notice and ask) tell them that other people like things that we aren't supposed to have and then I tell them that it's poison. That seems to work for now.

Cali said...

Ha ha, really? I just laughed so hard. :)

NaDell said...

Well, I'm sure that they will eventually learn that it's not really poison, but that will work for a while. I'm glad I made you laugh.