Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Must be funny...

My good friend Ashlee posted some thoughts and I want to link to it here because it is pretty much the way I've been feeling for a couple years. So far, my "bucket-list" is made up only of places I want to see and visit, ha ha.

Did I at one point say that learning how to create databases sounded like fun? Here's a secret: IT'S NOT. I swear it is made way more complicated than it needs to be, with all the "relationships" and "cardinalities" and "join-tables" and whatnot. And Microsoft Access is a foreign language. I'll do the work to get through the class, but I'm perfectly happy to leave the database designing to people who enjoy it and are good at it. :)

4 comments:

NaDell said...

I was watching American Idol Tuesday and they said that your Lady Gaga friend is going on there Wednesday night.
FYI

Cali said...

NaDell - I know! I've got it set to record! :)

Jax said...

Believe me, all that database stuff you mention--it's absolutely critical. If it sounds complicated, it's because it has to be. I can't begin to explain how screwed up IT systems would be without proper relationships, cardinalities, primary keys, etc. Suffice it to say that they'd be practically worthless. Sadly, what you mention barely scratches the surface of the true complexity. There's an entire IT position called database administrator for people who only deal with databases all day. (Incidentally, part of Darwin's problem was a poorly designed database structure, which could lead to a variety of problems like the dreaded "partial post.")

Cali said...

Jax, thanks. Like I said - I really don't care about it; complex or not. Thank goodness for database administrators.

I agree with you that Darwin did have problems, and I probably don't know the half of it. The biggest one in my opinion was that no one could be bothered to help us figure out how to do stuff. Important stuff. (Either that or there just was no way to do them and they didn't want to tell us.) Kind of a shame. I hope this new one goes much better.