Saturday, April 11, 2009

What to do?

Yesterday we had a date night and went to eat at La Caretta, a Peruvian restaraunt. The food was yummy, but our waiter was high on something. The first thing I noticed was the excessive sweating. (Gross.) Geoff is the one who said "he looks high," and sure enough, totally dilated pupils, and he was quite fidgety and walking around with quick, impatient gestures. He was still a good waiter though. We tipped him good. The menu had lots of beautiful pictures of Lima and Machu Picchu. You know I've seen lots of pictures of that place and have wished I could go there someday but never actually knew where it was. So as I'm looking at these pictures I'm thinking, "hmm, 10 days off in August..."

I thought it would be fun to go down there and see the city of Lima, as well as the ancient ruins, and maybe we could go to Ecuador too (since they are next to each other) thinking Geoff served his mission there and might like to go back. He was not as on board with my cute idea. He knows that I have a tendency to get overly-excited about things and am prone to spend lots of money on something I think I want really bad. Like the time I hired a personal trainer. And when we almost bought another condo. And when I wanted to drop 2500 bones on beachfront accomodations in San Diego for a week.

He is right. There's just all of these neat places I want to go and see. I just don't want to still be talking about it when I'm in my 50's and never have done any of it. And there's this sense of urgency too, that it would be best to do some traveling now, before any kids come along. Though I guess we could have them and leave them with grandma and grandpa - if possible. :)

Just round-trip airfare to Peru is $1,000 / person. :( The question is do we want to spend it on travel or save it for a rainy day, or a bigger down-payment on a house. Why must we be responsible?

GOOD news though, I am going to go to New York City this year!! In October! This is one of the places I've really wanted to go, so I am sooooooo excited! I'm going with two of my aunts and an uncle for sure, (my aunt is the one who invited us, bless her!) and we'll see about mom and Geoff. Geoff is a little unsure about what his job/internship situation is going to be at that time, so we aren't booking a flight for him until we know for sure. But I just can't wait.

6 comments:

Diane said...

I'm jealous. I wish I would have traveled before having kids, it would have been a great oppourtunity. I say don't hold back. Do what you want as long as it is reasonable, and you wont regret it!

M said...

NEW YORK!!!!! That's awesome! I know what you mean about wanting to travel. Last Christmas Bob and I bought tickets to Italy, we were so excited and then ended up refunding them so we could afford to go to school through Spring/Summer. But someday we'll make it there. We found round trip tickets to London from Salt Lake for $600 and really wanted to go but I'm not so sure my Dr. would okay traveling for me right now, especially out of the country. Oh well . . . someday, right :D

Anonymous said...

New York City... I'm in!

Cali said...

Diane - Thank you! For the encouragement! I love it! :)

Michelle - wow, that is really cheap airfare! Where did you find such great rates?? That's a bummer about school - it does take up pretty much all your time and money, huh.

Mom - maybe we can fly out together!

justine said...

I love La Caretta-especially the french fries. yum. Wow New York, so cool, I've only been there once and it was tons of fun, be sure to hit the shows :)

Chakeshemo said...

Do it..(hand in palm)..today..(finger point)