Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Where to go?

Well it is lunchtime. I've stocked up on Lean Cuisines so I can spend this week's lunch breaks at work doing homework... and here I am using the time to blog... Well just this post and then the rest of the time will be spent on homework. I got most of this week's homework done yesterday, but I still need to practice what is called "the footrace" for the capstone lab. The way it works is the class is split into teams of four, and we are supposed to run a simulation business. We make weekly decisions about R&D, Marketing, Finance, etc. Of course it's far from the running a real business, so Geoff and I prefer to call it a competetive video game. Just play the dumb game well and pass the class. Anyway, we are required to run individual businesses in addition to our team business, and I have not done much with it yet.

Underworld 3 (Rise of the Lycans) was actually pretty good.

I've also been reading this book called Codependent No More. It sparked my interest last summer in Jackson Hole which is where I bought it, but I never read it. I've always thought of codependents as the women who tolerate abuse from their husbands and refuse to leave because they "love him." The idea is fascinating to me because it's so sad and so easily remedied - or so we think. But anyway, like I said, I never picked up the book until someone made reference to it a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised to find the definition of codependency is actually much broader. The auther says that codependency is often created when one person's crazy behavior (usually from an addiction) causes another person to feel they have to walk on eggshells to try and control the first person's crazy behavior. The common example she uses is living with an alcoholic, but it can also be taught through familial, societal, and religious culture. Doing something you really don't want to do when someone else could easily do it is one small thing that codependents do, because they are taught that they should be good and gracious and selfless, and that saying "no" would be selfish. The two conflicting feelings or thoughts within them teaches them that their feelings can't be trusted. Another thing is that they feel they need to prove themselves to other people as being up to par. Anyway, there's a lot more, and it probably sounds like psycho-babble because I can't effectively sum up the entire book in one paragraph. You'd have to read it to get the entire context. But it's so interesting to me.

I have found that while I don't have a huge problem, I sometimes mildly exhibit some of the behaviors outlined in the book. My problem is that I am often so afraid of causing upset in anyone else that I modify my behavior, and when I do upset someone else or they get frustrated with me, it is the end of the world, and then I tend to get mad at them or at myself. I still haven't finished the book, but the points I took away were that you have to stop trying to control someone else'e behavior and feelings by what you say and do. Be courteous and responsible and respectful, but for heaven sakes, let people be who they are. Let them be responsible for their own feelings.

If I could start school over, I'd be a psych major. I love this stuff. Just... not enough to, you know.. start over.

Geoff's first day at work was today. He sent me a text that said "Well, I survived the morning," which I assume means it went well. :) I hope it was a good experience! He hates being the new guy, but aside from that, I hope it was good.

We purposely held off on making any reservations for our trip in August because we weren't sure what Geoff's job situation would be at that time. Well, now we know, and he doesn't quite feel comfortable asking for a whole week off. I don't blame him cuz I've been there before, so now I'll just plan a trip for myself! Or, maybe I'll try to find someone to go with me. I don't mind going alone though. I don't know if I want to do San Diego just because it would be more fun to have someone to visit the parks with, and I'm a little wary of going to a spanish-speaking country without a spanish speaker, but maybe a fun road trip to somewhere else in the U.S. Ten days is enough time to go somewhere fun! I guess I could always cancel my time off or shorten it, but I don't really want to do that. We'll see. If anyone has good vacation ideas let me know!! :)

4 comments:

NaDell said...

If you come to visit Geoff's family, you'll have to come and meet me too. For reals, yo. =)

Sven said...

take me! take me!....oh wait...

Anonymous said...

I want to go to NYC in August. That's my only good vacation idea. And Peru. Go to Peru! :)

Toones said...

You are always welcome to hang with me in D.C....