Sunday, June 7, 2009

Moab weekend

We went to Moab this past weekend, and stayed in a little campground just north of town. We met mom and dad there and rode four-wheelers! It was the first time being there for both Geoff and me, and we were amazed. It was more beautiful than I thought it would be. I love Zions, and thought nothing could compare to Zions, but Moab was pretty cool. We had a tent site, and Mom and Dad stayed in a cabin right next to our tent.
.

The first day we we rode the Gemini Bridges trail. It's one of the easier trails, but the end result didn't disappoint.
.

View from the bottom: That's a tree up there, not a person.
View from the top:
This is from the top of the bridges. That guy is much closer to the edge than I dared get. In fact, I tripped over my own foot while up there and decided meeting death was not something I was prepared to do, and stayed far from the edges of the cliffs. You see those tiny people down there on the left? That drop was hundreds of feet. Amazing. Of course Geoff decided he was momentarily not afraid of heights and ventured rather close to the edge. I wanted to kill him for scaring me.
.
After Gemini Bridges we went back to camp for lunch and then went on the Poison Spider trail. I think it's supposed to also be one of the easier trails, but I tell you there were parts that made my heart pound, for sure. We encountered a part where three jeeps had to come down a small series of steep hills, and we had to sit at the bottom and wait for them before we could go up. Their brakes squeeled and tires skidded, and I thought they were going to roll. Luckily they didn't! There were a couple of parts we had to get off the four-wheelers and help them up one by one. It was way fun, and I know Geoff enjoyed it too. He really wants to get our own four-wheelers when we have the money and space to keep them.


We were so dirty when we were done that we went back to camp to shower and then went into town and ate dinner at an italian place. After dinner, we drove up to Dead Horse Point just in time to see the sun set. This isn't my picture, but it's part of the view:



Then this morning, we checked out and hiked up to Delicate Arch - (the one on the Utah license plates.) Everything about that excursion was amazing - the drive, the hike, the scenery. My dad took some pictures of that one, I'll post them once I've got copies.

We got home this afternoon, and all we want to do now is shower and rest. Here come a busy few weeks! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I´ve never been to Moab. I guess I need to now, it looks beautiful!

Denise said...

That is so beautiful!! Looks like fun but kinda scary!