Thursday, September 3, 2009

We're the safety kids, the safety kids

Ken came over tonight after I got home from class and did another massage. (Geoff was there, but he didn't want one). I asked him just do my back and neck, and focus on the part where the neck muscle meets the skull, cuz that's where I have so much pain. He did something called sacrocranial and structural. He pushed sooooo hard and it was amazing. He is the first massage therapist that actually listened to what I wanted then did it. I was actually instantly sick to my stomach the second I stood up when it was over, (google said it's because the release of toxins and to drink lots of water), but it's passed now and my neck feels great. No head-turning pain, at all. If anyone wants Ken's number, let me know.

We just watched a thing about that guy that kidnapped an eleven-year old girl and kept her in his backyard for 18 years, brainwashing and raping and fathering her two children. This whole thing makes me seriously ill, what evil must be in a man's heart. That poor poor girl, I just feel so bad for her and her kids, there aren't words. (I could go on, but I'm sure we all know and feel the same). The end of the show emphasized teaching your children that they should feel that if anything were ever to happen to them, that they should feel they can tell you anything, and to teach them how to scare away menacing strangers by yelling. This reminded me of something I had as a child, called the "Safety Kids," it was a book and a tape that told the story, and had songs. I remembered -

Sometimes you just gotta yell and scream
Sometimes it's the only thing to do
Noisy as a fire truck
You just gotta open up
And get the crowd's attention turned to you

Haven't thought about that in years, but screaming to get attention was as common knowledge to me as stop drop and roll. Thankfully I never had reason to do it, but it's a good thing for a kid to know. I hope I can find the Safety Kids when I have kids of my own.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

If you can't find them, I have mine. My mom kept it. I tried to use it to help Elizabeth memorize our number. That song is totally the one stuck in my head from all those videos and books and cassettes. I loved the Safety Kids! You are too funny!
Yeah, my kids know to kick, yell, run, etc. We tell them from such a young age that if some stranger gets you, he won't have your special blankie (or whatever they're attached to) and you'll be sad. (We try not to get into the gory-he could kill you stuff-details too much.)

Ang said...

SHIZ! We had those tapes too. I had forgotten about them. Good times.

Chakeshemo said...

BOW WOW!

Tisha Morgan said...

Loved the Safety Kids! I still remember my phone number from when I was a kid from one of those songs. Such good lessons taught by song.