Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy birthday, grandma!

Today is my grandma's 81st birthday. (You go girl!) I don't normally write up "love lists" about people on their birthdays, even though I love them, but my grandma holds such a special place in my heart. A "love list" won't ever do her justice, and I'll probably make myself cry, but I'm gonna tell you some things I love about my grandma - and some memories

Silly

I remember when she one day got comfortable enough to take out her false teeth and sing Christmas songs with us - the extended family. It was such a riot and a memory that will live on for years.

When she used to make fun of that commercial with the "I got the power" song. She hates that song. She mocked the lady singing "I got the power" in full force, and when we acted surprised that she knew it, she said, "well, I don't live in a cave!"

Caring

Moving from AF to SF in the seventh grade was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I am so happy that we did because I had the opportunity to be closer to grandma. Her house was sort of an after-school safe-haven where I could go spend time, talking, watching TV, playing cards with her, and playing piano. I'm sure my incessant John-Schmidt-ing was enough to drive her crazy, but she never stopped talking about how good I was (even though I wasn't) and how much she liked to hear me play. She was always a listening ear during that hard time.

For years afterward my favorite thing to do was to just "pop in" and visit grandma, and she always greeted us (still does) with the warmest smile, hug, and hello there could be. I've always looked forward to and anticipated popping in and saying hi to grandma.

Talented

When I decided to learn how to make quilts for Young Women's, she was patient enough to take me shopping for material, help me set up the quilt frame in her basement, show me how to make the quilt, and then proceed to pratically make the quilt herself because I was too "busy" to work on it. I still have the quilt.

She was always so willing to drop what she was doing and un-hem my pants (or patch them up) or sew me a choir dress or whatever sewing I needed done. She can sew just about anything you give her; she is amazing. She was the sewing teacher's assistant when I had the class in Jr. High, and we joined forces again at that Jr. High building when I came back and did community choir with her for a few months. Did I mention she sings beautifully too?

All-around amazing

You know how there are just some people in the world that draw others in and make their world brighter? My grandma is just one of those people, always reaching out to help, welcoming, and giving love to the people around her. Family get-togethers are what they are because grandma is there. When I was a kid, I remember my dad saying to me that grandma is a great role-model. That if I was in a situation and didn't know what I should do, to think about what grandma would do. And you know, he was right. If I ever get to where I'm treating those around me with the love, respect, and genuine warmth that my grandma does, I will consider my life a success.

Again, there's no way a single post could say how much I love my grandma and how amazing she truly is. I'm just so grateful that I've had the chance to have a good relationship with her over the years. She is more of a blessing to me than I can say!

This is one of my favorite pictures of us and one of the few of just me, grandpa, and grandma.



(My grandpa has passed away, and although I miss him terribly, I am happy that grandma has a companion now to be with her.)

A cute post my sister wrote about grandma before she left on her mission.

Pictures of Donald, and grandma teaching Geoff and I how to can peaches.

2 comments:

JohnnyB said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandma!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet Cali. I'll make sure she reads this.