Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dohhhhhh

I miss Geoff's family today. I wish we were back there hanging out. I can't believe it's been five years before last weekend! If another five years goes by, Nicholas will be a teenager when we see them again. Diapers to 8 yrs old to a teenager, that's way too much time. I hope everyone can get together again sometime not too far away.

This morning I was met with a surprise at work that nearly had me in tears... okay maybe it did have me in tears. Ah. Some days, like today, I wonder what the heck am I doing in accounting, I'm not cut out for it. I hate living with the knowledge that something awful is always going to pop up that I didn't - couldn't have - known about, and then feel like I should've known about it. I really, really hate that. I'm such a stickler about details - paranoid, even - and sometimes it still isn't enough. I do not want to have that kind of stress for the rest of my life. Though there are parts about it that I do enjoy, thinking about it, what else would I even do? If I wanted to change careers or do something else, I don't know anything else; I've always done accounting or --type stuff. I've pigeon-holed myself enough that anything else I try to start will be started from square one. I don't even know what my interests are outside of accounting, at least with regard to career-related skills. (Blogging and weekend naps are not going to earn a paycheck). Sigh.

Geoff has class tonight so I'm going to try and clean up for next couple of hours. Even though I really don't feel like doing anything.

St. George would be nice. Nice to read a book by the pool or sit in the hot tub or lazily go shopping or drive through the canyon. Geoff and I are both getting the Vegas bug again too. Maybe sometime in the next few weeks. Maybe for Valentine's day?

5 comments:

Jared said...

Wish we could go with y'all, it would be a fun Valentines day weekend.
Hope you guys have fun!

Rach said...

Starting from square one's not so bad a little scary, but not bad. I'm starting over in the career field. I really never knew what else I would do other than teaching, but now I'm really excited to be starting something completely different. Sometimes ya just gotta make that leap of faith and make the change if you think it will make your life better. Your still young, you've got time to figure it out.

JohnnyB said...

I'm told that people in your generation will change careers more than once in their lives. You're at a good place in life to do so, if you want. All professional service careers carry some risk and people make mistakes that affect others. Careers like that carry more responsibility the farther you get into them. One of my accounting fiends and I used to daydream about having a job moving a pile of dirt one way one day and back again the next. No worries when you go home at night. So I can really identify with your feelings - I chose to stay with it (it pays more than comedy, anyway) but can sure understand if you choose otherwise. (sorry, not sure if my rambling is really helpful)

Jax said...

I can sympathize with you on the feeling you expressed. It's been my observation over time that careers dealing directly with money are by their very nature stressful, and mistakes are often magnified in their seriousness compared to other fields.

When I worked at Ernst & Young, I had the opportunity to interact with many accountant and financial types, both within the firm and at clients, and I always came away from the experiences with a little bit of distaste because those people--sorry, I hate hate to pull out a "those people" and generalize like that--seemed like they were always serious, always on edge, like the next moment might bring a $100,000 headache or something. They were actually kind of unfriendly because of that.

Anyway, I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions to the rule and that accountants can't have pleasant personalities and lives, but those were my observations. And again, where the money is, people will always make a big deal about it. SHOW ME THE MONEY! :-)

Denise said...

I had the best time of my life when everybody was here!!! I miss all you guys so much it hurts!!!