Friday, January 29, 2010

What to do now...

Wow thanks for your comments. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been dreaming about having a less-stressful type job... moving piles of dirt around actually kind of sounds really great! Ha ha. But if anything, it helps to know I'm not alone, more not-alone than I would've thought, actually.

So here's what happened - I called the IRS, actually got someone nice, and she removed one of the situations, gave me reason to sigh with relief over another situation, and there's a third situation that we won't know about until after they process the 4th quarter. But even if it doesn't work out as I hope, it won't be as big of a deal as what I thought it could've been.

So now that that's over with, and my 4th quarter processing is done (at least the stuff that's due at the end of Jan.) I have such a weight off. But I have to say, knowing that this little experience is a possible foreshadowing of a tax accounting career has thrown some serious doubt on my career choice. Call me a wimp if you want! I have dealt with the IRS a lot in the last couple of years, but this one was more of a wake-up call and is not something I want forever.

As done as I'm feeling with it all right now, I'm so lost as to what else to do. Geoff suggested a few things but nothing is really sticking right now. I'd rather do something that can build on the accounting degree so that it doesn't go to waste, and there are numerous things out there, I'm sure. I just don't know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well accounting gives you a great understanding of business, you could start your own business! Just find something you're passionate about and find a way to make it pay, and do it!
I know several millionaires who graduated in accounting then went into business ownership and made their money that way.
Jared

Anonymous said...

We could open up a cookie company!! You can run all the accounting and business stuff and I'll be the baker and sampler. Now we just need to find someone to put up all the money to get it started.

Toones said...

YOu could teach Cali! That would be so great for you. I think you would make a great teacher. You could teach high school accounting or calculus. Or even college accounting if you had a high enough degree... THink about it.