Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I guess it's an early anniversary post

The last week has been a little crazy with work and stuff, but I feel good! Tonight, I feel like posting some thoughts I've been having about the past year, where Geoff and I are concerned. I don't know why Year Five was the year, but I think we've faced some challenges head on this year, that were probably a long time coming. I think I finally understand what people mean when they say marriage isn't easy. But I am so grateful that through the challenges we've been able to grow together instead of growing apart. This point on feels like a new stage to me, where it's all on the table, no pretending (for either of us), and I am so excited to continue spending my life with this true gem of a man.

I can't not make a love-list now. Here's a love list for my sweetheart: in no order of importance
I love:


  • That he still holds the door open for me
  • Singing "duets" together and trying to get the harmonies right, (most of the time we fail miserably but we do it with style)
  • That he always willingly says yes when I ask him to rub my back
  • The cuteness of his starstruck-ness
  • How goofy he will act just to get a laugh out of me
  • That he is constantly making me laugh
  • That he loves being a teacher and does a good job
  • How good he is with kids (will make a wonderful father one day)
  • That we can be spontaneous together
  • That he shows love and patience even when I'm being difficult and immature
  • Cuddling with him
  • He still texts to say I Miss You
  • When he cleans the kitchen, which is most of the time
  • His love for reading, anything and everything, all the time
  • His passion for helping other people
  • Him for being there for me when I'm having a breakdown or just need someone to be with
  • For always thinking of nice things to do for me

He's just such a good man. That's obviously not all encompassing, but just a few things I thought about. I think these words say it beautifully:


All that I'm after is a life full of laughter
As long as I'm laughing with you
All that still matters is love ever after
After the life we've been through
'Cause I know there's no life after you

Daughtry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your list, Cali. You've done got yourself a keeper. Laughing is crucial. Again. Love.

Anonymous said...

We love Geoffy! It's been a comforting feeling for us as parents to know you're being loved and taken care of by him. He deserves a hug!

Jax said...

I enjoyed this post, for a variety of reasons. Yeah, I'd agree that around year five in a marriage, all of the "honeymoon glow" starts to wear off, and you realize you're living with this person for the long haul. Based on my own experience, I'd say another milestone occurs at 10 years, which is where I'm at right now. Then you realize you've been together for a decade, and you still have several more to go. And yet it's wild how fast time flies. Again, thanks for the thoughts.

Chakeshemo said...

This is what I'm saying. What is real or important to you now, is different (in a sense) of what was real and important to you 5 years ago. In the next 5 years something else will take it's place in importance and eventually you figure out a way to roll with the changes. The reward comes when you can look at all the sacrifices of personal wants and desires for someone else and see the fruits of it, i.e., deep and abiding love.