Friday, January 8, 2010

Who says I can't post about dumb stuff if I want

A few days ago, Geoff DVR'd a Man vs. Wild marathon, so we've got like ten episodes in the queue. (Is that how you spell queue? I'm not in the mood to look it up). I get the biggest kick out of Bear Grylls! Last night we laid in bed watching it and laughing our heads off. I think it came out once that he cheated on a mission and spent the night in a hotel or something, but it just makes the show that much more hilarious. You can tell that a lot of the stuff he does is for show, such as taking the hard way up a ravine in stead of the obviously easier way within feet of where he is, or burying his head in anthill dirt - with gusto - to keep the mosquitos off. It's the gusto, I think that's what's so funny. And anytime he has to eat stuff that normal people wouldn't even have nightmares about, he does it (with gusto) all while talking about how truly disgusting it is, how it's the worst thing he's ever eaten.

My favorite was when he came across a zebra carcass in the African wilderness, and he knew it was fresh because there were no maggots yet. So he gets out his knife, cuts a piece of skin back, and goes at the carcass with his face -his teeth - seemingly having forgotten about the knife in his hand.

Well, we ended up watching one that looked so scary. He was in the wilderness swamps of the deep south, with at least three feet of dark, murky water in all directions. He was afraid of alligators. And did you know they have real ROUS's out there? Well, in two days' time, he bit the head off a live snake and ate the body raw, caught a 20-lb catfish with his fist, tackled a six-foot alligator with his bear hands and killed it with a knife, carried the alligator body over his shoulder until he could find some dry ground to make camp, cut the alligator skin into strips so he could use it to tie sticks together to make an elevated bed for himself to spend the night on, and ate the alligator meat. That's not even everything, there was so much more. My thought was that he didn't have to create dangerous situations for himself out there; that looked truly terrifying.

My conclusion: for show or not, I would rather be lost in the wilderness with him than without him. Though I will never eat a live snake.

I am so excited to spend a relaxing weekend with my hubby!

5 comments:

NaDell said...

Me either! Yuck! Can't he wait long enough to make a decent fire to roast it?
Rodents of Unusual Size...Ha Ha.

DeAnna said...

Ha ha ha...have you ever seen the episode with Will Ferrell...pretty funny. Andrew and I watch that show all the time, I agree, over the top, but if it wasn't...would you want to watch it?

Cali said...

You are right, I probably wouldn't! We haven't seen the will Ferrell episode yet, I'll have to look it up.

JohnnyB said...

"tackled a six-foot alligator with his bear hands"
Well, it's easy for him if he's got paws like that!
;-D

Cali said...

Ha! That's funny! I didn't even notice that! "With his BARE hands" is more correct!

But, technically they are "bear hands" too since his name is Bear, he he.