Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chile

Geoff and I picked Friday as the kick-off to our nasal spray detox - so we weren't sleeping well last night. Geoff was actually awake, watching TV, about 3:30 in the morning, when he saw CNN coverage of the earthquake in Chile. He woke me up to tell me, and my heart just sank into my stomach as he said the words. We called mom and dad, and sat, glued to the TV and scouring the internet, for the next 5 hours. Mom and dad tried calling the mission home, and then Salt Lake. They were told they should know something around 9 a.m. So they called back at 9 a.m. and were told they'd heard from all of the missions in Chile except for three- one of which was Alison's. So we waited another five hours, until finally we got word from Salt Lake that Rancagua had called, and all of the missionaries were accounted for and safe. Oh my, such relief I've never known in my life.

I hoped that the missionaries were rounded up and gathered in one place, I couldn't stand to think of her just wandering around with her companion, not knowing where to go. Then we got this email from her around 5 p.m.: "Hey! I am okay, we all are okay... so don´t worry!! I will write you all monday to tell ya the juicy details... But DON´T worry about a thing, everything is alright :) I Love you!... send this to dad and cali, I can´t write them right now"

So I'm so glad she contacted us and is doing fine. I was so sick with worry all day long. The reports kept saying it's the last official week of summer there, so I'm glad that they don't have to deal with snow and cold, at the very least. And she is far enough inland that they shouldn't have to deal with the tsunami's either, so we are lucky in that regard. But we've been told that they don't have phones or water, and electricity is questionable. (I guess she was able to email, so there must be some electricity.) They are located about 60 miles south of Santiago, so right between Santiago and the quake's epicenter, not far from Talca, which was all over the news.

I'm sure there will be a lot to do, the rest of her mission will be spent doing humanitarian work, but I just hope that she'll be able to get food and water and whatever supplies they will need. But I'm so grateful that she is okay and let us know she's okay.

5 comments:

Rory said...

Oh wow, I'm so glad.

DeAnna said...

Umm..it's time to hang out again.

Jared said...

So, I'm just curious... What's nasal spray detox? And why are you and Geoff doing it?
Just wondering...

Cali said...

DeAnna, I'd love to hang out again sometime.

Lyndsie said...

I'm so glad she's okay!