Sunday, February 7, 2010

An ounce of patience is worth a bushel of brains

Well we have mostly lived up to our goal of being lazy except for laundry this weekend. We ventured out to the grocery store, to church, and to mom and dad's this evening for the superbowl. Mom, Danielle and I played Farkle while not really watching the game... and we visited of course. It was nice. I slept until noon on Saturday, which I can't even remember the last time I slept that late. Yay sleep!

Today I read a book called "Take Two Chocolates and Call Me in the Morning," by Emily Watts. It was an easy, entertaining read. It's been about a year since I've picked up a self-help book. I read that one person drinking in self-help books while the other has virtually no interest is evidence of codependency, so I've stopped worrying about it and then actually read lots of books that I really enjoyed; most of them I borrowed from a work friend, and mostly fiction, fun books.

But last week in our human-performance meeting we were asked to think of something about our job performance or the way other people perceive us that we'd like to change. I had noticed that I can become snappy and impatient when I'm very stressed or frustrated, which has been quite a lot in the last month. I don't think I've bitten anyone's head off or anything (well I might've done it to someone somewhere who I'll never speak to again, and should probably feel more bad about it than I do?), but I know that my tone can become harder, shorter, and generally less inviting. So that's what I wanted to change. Geoff announced he was heading to the library, so I asked him to find me a book on self-calming techniques or patience or something, and that's one of the books he brought back. I recommend it to anyone who is feeling stressed out with life in general because there's a lot of good stuff in it.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a lot done this next week, and then I was given next Monday off, so it'll be an awesome three-day weekend. Very much looking forward to it.

No comments: