Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Schools

Tonight I drove an hour up to the University of Utah campus to go to a one-hour information session about David Eccles School of Business and the programs they offer, specifically the MAcc. While I was sitting there taking notes, a wave of warm fuzzies washed over me for a few moments. I don't get these feelings often, and I do believe they mean something. I really felt then and there that this school would be a good pursuit for me. There are still a lot of unknowns - for example, my GMAT score - but if I do get accepted there, I know it will be a good choice. The other big unknown besides my GMAT score is whether or not they will accept me even though I don't have all the prerequisites. The people at the presentation didn't know for sure if it was required, and suggested that I might be able to integrate them as part of the program, but I need to call the advisor to find out. So I will try to do that tomorrow. If it supposed to work out with that school, then it will.

While I obviously can't interpret the mind of the Lord, or even presume to know His thoughts, I wouldn't think that it would matter too much which school I choose, as long as my pursuit is of something good and wholesome. What does matter, I think, is the circumstance that it will place Geoff and I in. Because the other school on my radar right now is UNLV, and mainly because they don't have prerequisite requirements, you only need a bachelor's degree (and I would absolutely not complain about living in the lovely Las Vegas climate). But if I went to UNLV, Geoff and I would be living apart for at least 4 months... or longer, if he ends up not going to school down there. So that is very important to think about too. I think it could be doable, because I know someone who has been commuting between Utah County and Las Vegas for work for years. I also knew someone who stayed at our company to work while her husband did a 4-month internship in Arizona. She said she loved it because it was so exciting to go visit him every couple of weeks. But everyone is different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Four months apart? Really? I would say no. Even if you could handle it, would you really want to? I'm sure you guys could do it but... sad times.