Monday, June 7, 2010

Wild mushrooms = not good

So it appears we're having a heat wave.  I'm totally fine with that, except it's not a great time to forget to put on your deodorant.  (Oops, we'll pretend it didn't happen. I have some now anyhow.)  Anyway, I was rushing my puppy out the door to the vet, so I forgot.

Last night, we took Gwennie to the little park down the street to let her run around a bit and get some energy out.  It was fine, except she happened to find a wild mushroom - the only wild mushroom growing in the whole field, as far as I can see - and ate it.  I saw it in her mouth from a distance, but I thought it was a dirt clod because it was black and stringy- and it's normal for her to pick up any random stick, clump of dirt, leaf, etc. that she finds lying in the grass, so I didn't worry.  Geoff later told me he tried to grab it out of her mouth, but she scarfed it down too fast.  That's when I went poking around that area and found the bare mushroom stem with a tiny bit of black stringyness left hanging from it.  At the time, I thought, if it's anything bad for her, she'll throw it up.  It wasn't until about midnight that it occurred to me that it could be poisonous, or lethal, and I started looking all over the internet but couldn't find anything on this mysterious mushroom or whether it was poisonous.  I called emergency pet care, but they couldn't do anything without knowing the name of the mushroom, said it was too late to induce vomiting, and to just keep an eye on her.

So we let her sleep, and she seemed fine, but I was worried so sick, and slept horribly.  This morning at 7:30 I called Banfield and they said to bring her in, so I took her up there on my way to work.  I was told twice by the nurses that they couldn't do anything without knowing the name of the mushroom (I said to them, how in the world could I be expected to know the name of the mushroom, I only know what it looked like, and can't find anything definite on the internet).  The vet called a couple hours ago to say that she doesn't have tremors, doesn't appear to be hallucinating, and that her vitals are fine.  The only other thing that it could affect is her liver, so he said they could do some blood tests to check on her liver.  Yes, please.  So they're doing that today, and they'll call if they find anything. 

Gosh.  I feel so so so bad for not thinking it through better when she actually ate the damn thing.  We could've made her throw it up and not had to worry about further health problems.  Poor little thing.  I know we've had other pets, who I've liked with varying degrees at different times, but Gwennie is different.  She's my sweetheart.  If anything happened to her it would be so devastating.  Sigh.  Hopefully everything will be fine.

No comments: