Monday, August 30, 2010

The month of change

Today is my birthday, 26th.  That's old! It was really great, well, Geoff and I celebrated over the weekend, I wrote about that.  At work, my friend made me a whole pan of lemon bars - my favorite - and got me what are now the cutest earrings I own.

Two of the others made me a welcome sign that is so cute.  And my work got me a cake from The Chocolate, mmm.  Went out to lunch with them at the Smoking Apple too which was good.  I've also gotten texts, phone calls, and facebook messages!  And Geoff's mom sent me a gift card to my favorite clothing store and I am so excited to run up there and spend it!  I sure have such great family and friends to think of me!!

This last weekend also marks my four-year anniversary at my work, and four years since we bought our condo... August has been a month of change, for sure.

Geoff is starting a volunteer committment with a group that works with kids going through the court system whose parents are having problems (I'm thinking probably a lot of drugs, abuse, etc.) I think it is sort of a mentor-type thing.  He is very very excited.  He's also been practicing some "magic" tricks and card tricks that he can show the kids at work now that school is back in session, which I think is the cutest thing ever.  He has such a caring heart.

This may be premature - okay I know it's premature - but ever since that idea to work/live in a foreign country, it's pretty much been on my mind nonstop.  It seems so far out there that it feels like it could never happen, but logically I don't see why not.  There's soooo much that would have to be thought about and prepared for, like health/property insurance, cost of living, work visas, work, transportation, getting into the school (the main one), and a gazillion other things.  Things that I would be familiar with in the States but completely clueless about somewhere else.  But then I just think, oh gosh, it would all be worth it.  We've only got one life to live, and if I'm going to spend mine being an accountant, then I want to use that to see amazing places... okay, Scotland.  Or Ireland.  Geoff suggested going to South America since he already speaks spanish and thinks I could speak it within the year if I immerse myself in it.  I say why not both?  One first, then the other.  Gosh why didn't we think of this before?  It seems like the possibilities are endless.

But it's hard not to get ahead of myself.  First, finish this auditing class.  Study for GMAT.  Take GMAT.  Apply for grad school.  Maybe plan a trip or two to these places so we can actually see them before we decide on what to do.  lol.  In time.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Happy Birthday! Today is my bro's bday too. Are you friends with Sandy Bingam Bradley on FB? She went to SFHS with us. Anyway, she and her husband Matt lived in Ireland while Matt got his Master's at some university over there. You may want to talk with her. I know she loved it and it was a great experience for them. I agree, you only have one life to live so go for it!!

Cali said...

Courtney, I'm not but I'll find her and ask her about it. That will be sooo helpful! Thank you!