Wednesday, September 8, 2010

IcebErg. I can spell.

So. This is a little disheartening.  But I've learned that in order to get a work permit or a green card in Ireland, you first have to be offered a job.  That job can only be in specific fields, and you have to make a very high salary or you can't work in Ireland.  Further, the company that hires you must apply for your work permit, proving to the government that they did everything possible to hire an EU citizen first and that you are better than all of the current residents (they don't want foreigners taking the citizens' jobs), hold the job open for at least 8 weeks for you, then they must pay the government a large fee for two years in order for you to work for them.  Basically, you have to be really hot stuff to even think about getting a job there.

And that is merely the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not sure if I'd qualify as a student or a worker - provided I even got into the program - and whether or not I could get a permit, but we'd need Geoff to work, and it pretty much sounds next to impossible, for anyone.  Basically, if we want to move/work/study there in the next three years at the earliest, something (meaning their laws and policies) would probably have to change between now and then.  Sigh.

The UK (including Scotland) have something similar.  They are trying to protect the jobs of their citizens, which is good, but it makes it extremely difficult if not impossible for a foreigner to enter their country and stay for any amount of time.  I want to go so bad it's all I can think about.  This is so depressing I want to cry.  I don't know what will happen.  I still want to go, but I don't know what will happen. 

A few weeks ago, Geoff and I watched a documentary called "Big Rig" about the lives of long haul truck drivers.  There was one guy, from Holland or something.  Such a happy go lucky guy.  He was driving through California, remarking on its beauty and how much he loves America.  He says, "You want to come to America and work, you work!  You want to go to my country and work, NO FREAKING WAY!  Here, I am free!"  And off he went, happy as a clown.  We wondered what he meant by "no freaking way," and maybe this is it.  I mean I still have a little hope, but I don't know, we'll see.  It's a huge bummer.

I've tried contacting this girl on facebook that went with her husband while he studied there, but she isn't responding to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you ARE really HOT stuff! And I'm not just saying that cuz I'm your mom...

Don't give up on your dreams, cuz ya never know!

Courtney said...

I will bug Sandy for you too. She just had a baby, so I am sure she is preoccupied. I know her husband was a student and he couldn't work, and she did work but got a job after she moved there and I don't think it was as a big of a deal for them. Maybe things have changed since they went. I'll send sandy a message and see if she will contact you on FB.

Cali said...

Courtney - I just emailed you on facebook. :)