Friday, March 11, 2011

Goodbye Grandpa Bingham

My Grandpa Bingham passed away at 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning.  He was 97 years old.  I haven't seen him in so long anyway that it didn't really hit me until we stood at the graveside for the service.  I'll miss him. 

We had a family viewing and prayer in Midvale at noon on Wednesday, then went straight to the cemetary for graveside services.  (He had planned his funeral some time ago and didn't want a traditional funeral service.)  They had the gun salute, and Boyd Kanenwisher sang a beautiful version of God Be With You Till We Meet Again, then remarks from Grandpa's daughters and a prayer.  Uncle Winston and Uncle Norm presented folded flags to Grandma Bingham and one of Grandpa's daughters from his first marriage.

Afterwards everyone went to the church across the street for a luncheon, provided by the Relief Society.  There was a video slideshow of pictures of Grandpa with the family throughout his life and when he was younger.  Those pictures were the way I remember Grandpa.

He was 97 years old, had Alzheimer's, and it has been probably a decade since he could see or hear.  So it was his time to go and I'm glad for his sake.

Dad invited the whole family down for some food that evening.  Around 50 or 60 people were there- it was really crowded.  But I saw some family that I had either never met before, or didn't remember since I was so young when I last saw them.  It was neat.

Rest in peace Grandpa Bingham, love ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Cali. Great tribute to grandpa.