Friday, March 25, 2011

New York

We are loving this place so far! We've taken tons of pictures but most of them are on the digital camera and will have to be uploaded later. I'll just post a few that I took with the iPod.

Look familiar? This is just right down the street from campus. We'll probably go there a lot if we get student housing!



I love this outdoor market!



Columbia campus.



Other side of the campus.



We went inside this amazing cathedral- St. John's Cathedral. It was so immense and beautiful and really awe-inspiring. I love all this gothic architecture. Many more pictures of this to come.



Central Park



Video: I can't believe we're here!
(blogpress is not letting me connect to YouTube to upload the video, will upload later)

I took a picture of this bridge because I thought it was the one from the snowball fight in the movie Elf.


And of this bridge because it reminded me of the movie Enchanted.




And, a quick rundown of events thus far so I don't forget them:

Thursday: arrive in New York at 9:30 a.m. Took ghetto bus through Harlem, saw lots of beautiful historical buildings. Got off at 120 and broadway, found the Columbia school of Social Work and walked down to 103 and got on the subway. Took the #1, changed to the #7 back to our hotel in Queens. Took naps and showered, took the subway back to Times Square. Went to a comedy club in a brick-lined basement and hosted by men in drag. Shopped at the Hershey store. Headed back to hotel at 1:30 a.m. Thanked the heavens for the policeman's presence at the bus stop at 82nd and Astoria, Queens.

Friday: met with someone at Columbia School of Social Work at ten a.m. Took a tour of the building then walked down the street and checked out the main campus. Ate the most delicious pizza ever at Che Bella's. Bought. Gloves and hats to fight the bitter cold. Walked to 110 and west central. Walked most of the length of Central Park. Walked to the Manhattan Temple. Walked back up Columbus and got cheesecake at Magnolia. Further up and got dogs at Gray's Papaya. Rode subways to Ground Zero. Came back to hotel.

We're back early tonight because we're so tired from jetlag and exhausted from all the walking. But we are so happy to be here.

2 comments:

NaDell said...

So much to take in in so little time. I like reading about your adventures. One day I'll get to that side of the country and maybe I'll even visit another country...

Kimble Family said...

How exciting for you! My daughter just moved about 4 hours north of NYC this week! They are hoping to go into the city this weekend before her sister flies back on Monday. Maybe when I go out to see her, we can meet up with you too! I am excited that you are finally getting part of your dream~ Miss you, Julie