Thursday, April 28, 2011

Drama mama

So today at work, I got really annoyed after a conversation with my boss, who mentioned that I needed to be sure that my trainee was fully trained on this or that - things that I had tried to train her on and sort of did, but then she was out for two weeks for knee surgery or bloody noses or headaches, etc. and I ended up doing stuff myself in order to meet deadlines.  I was annoyed because I gave them my quitting notice mid February, and it took them so long to decide on my replacement, and then they decided to divide this person's time between three different jobs, mine being only one of them.  I don't know what in the world they could've been thinking.  The new software was supposed to help take care of the tax portion, but that hasn't panned out yet.  It may at some point, but just not yet.  And I was mad that he was placing more responsibility for the training on me, when this whole mess is a result of their bad decisions.

Later in the afternoon as we were working on stuff, my trainee started crying.  She's so overwhelmed with trying to maintain her other jobs and do mine, and her main focus is supposed to be on learning my job, however she keeps getting pulled in all different directions by so many other people, it's just too much.  Especially when she's still recovering and isn't feeling well.  I felt so bad for her.  Sure, this all would've been easier if she hadn't missed so much work, but it still would've been impossible and management should've been able to see that or at least have inquired about it.  And so far it's like they just don't want to admit that this isn't quite working out and are trying to force their plan down everyone's throats no matter what.  And everyone's been willing to go with it but it is taking a major toll.  Well, she went to speak with him about everything at the end of the day today, so I guess we'll see what comes of that. 

I really don't want to leave everything in disarray, and I definitely don't want to leave my replacement feeling lost and insecure.  But I also can't help thinking that this isn't my problem, because I gave them plenty of notice, and am even agreeing to stay past my given quit date.  I don't know what else I could do, and I'm ready to be done.

No comments: