Friday, April 22, 2011

New jobs and stuff

I just had to write quickly about something that excited me.  A colleague approached me who heard I was moving to New York soon.  He said he used to live in NJ and commute to Manhattan each day where he worked for one of the major credit card companies.  He was CFO of one of their smaller divisions.  And his dad went to Columbia.  I know exactly where he worked because we went to that building twice - it's right next to Ground Zero.  Anyway, he said he would try to get in touch with some of his old colleagues from there (he is a fairly recent transplant - only about six months or so) and see if he could hook me up with something.  He asked about my degree and said, maybe internal audit would be the department for me.  Anyway, it was so nice of him to offer to do that.  I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up that something will come of it.  But the thought of doing internal audit for a large company - it sounds new and exciting!  It is a pretty exciting revelation that accounting isn't entirely dead to me.  (It's just the taxes that I am tired of!)

Speaking of - we just finished with our training of the new tax software.  A lady was here for three days helping us get set up and teaching us how to use it.  Anyway, she gave me her cell phone number, because she has a lot of clients in New York too (she's not sure of their exact location, but in NY), and they often get phone calls from their clients asking if they know of anyone who knows the tax program that could come work for them.  It was way nice of her.  So yeah.  I have some pretty heavy reservations about going back into tax.  But it's nice to know that's there, just in case.

Gosh now I'm feeling ansty.  Now I just want to get out there and start looking for jobs.  It's hard to do much before we find out about student housing.  I hope we hear soon.

No comments: