Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Very Near-Miss

We very nearly missed a wreck on the freeway last night. We had been at Sears buying a new vacuum cleaner and had just come off the northbound University Ave. exit in Provo. We were right about up to freeway speed, and I looked ahead and notice a trailer off to the right of the road, and the cars in front of us were slowing down. Suddeny, the cars in front of us skidded around, and I heard the crashing sound and saw a fender go flying. One of the cars veered around and smacked into the guard rail on the right. I think I yelled at Geoff to slow down, and we came to a screeching halt right in-between the two wrecked cars, about three feet away from the fender that was now lying in the middle of the road. There was glass everywhere. We sat there in shock for a minute, then decided we better get off the road and pulled over. Luckily nobody was hurt. There was another girl there who had been a witness, so the three of us sat there and waited for the cops to come so we could give a statement.

I guess what had happened is that the trailer that had been sitting on the right side of the road had needed a tire change. So, the owner of the trailer had set the spare tire down on the road, at an angle that made it roll into the middle of the freeway. He chased it into the middle of the road - and I think the cars in front of us were probably trying not to hit him when they skidded around and crashed.

When we left I thought, "well, that's over now, let's go to the video store and get some movies." It didn't occur to me until later how close we were to being smashed. If we had been going just a little bit faster or had left Sears just a few seconds earlier, that would have been us in that wreck. Of course, if we had been in that spot, we might've been able to maneuver so that there was no wreck, OR it could've been much worse than it was. (On the way TO Sears, we were talking about how nice it was to have the cars paid off finally, and I had mentioned that we better not speak too soon, or we'd probably wreck. Ha. Strike one for Murphy's law.)

Today in church, someone was speaking about how they had lost a son a long time ago in a car accident, and she stressed, "Now is the time to prepare to meet God." I'm glad nothing happened to us because I am NOT ready to die. I also want to appreciate my family more while I have them with me and especially my sweet husband, because I love him so much. I can't imagine if I had to continue life without him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't crash too. life is much to short as it is without rushing it along. You and Geoff are swell.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't crash too. life is much to short as it is without rushing it along. You and Geoff are swell.

DeAnna said...

This isn't in reference to your blog, but rather an answer to your question, I just found out a little more information on pricing to get a painting printed on nice canvas, so it looks like it is an original, so let me know what size you would like and I will let you know how much it would cost for any of the pictures...HOWEVER, the Lilies picture wasn't on canvas, so it would probably be cheaper. The other question would be whether or not you want a frame with it as well. Let me know!! :)