Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Four-tens & attitude

Last night I tossed and turned in bed for an hour, thinking, I can take a solid nap in the front seat of my car, in a parking lot in the mid-day heat, but put me in a soft, comfy bed, in a cool, dark room at the end of a long day and I can't sleep. Go figure.

Yesterday was an interesting work day, in a good way, though that's not what I thought at first. I was called to the upstairs conference room with the rest of the acc. dept., and the two owners were in there. The first thing they said to us was, "You guys know that the economy is struggling right now, gas prices are high, and (Our Company) is not immune to all of that." I totally got scared, thinking, they're going to give us a "we're laying people off" talk. But that was not the case. They've given us the option of having a 4-10 work week instead of 5-8's. It is totally voluntary, and you can choose to either have Monday or Friday off, as long as you coordinate with others so that the work for all 5 days still gets done. I am totally on board with that! I will gladly work ten-hour days if it means having a whole extra day for schoolwork and errands and stuff. The schedule is supposed to go from 7 am to 6 pm, but I have classes at 5:30, so they are going to work with me so that I can work the ten-hour days and still get off work at 5:00, because they "support education." How awesome is that?? They said they are hoping to gain some efficiencies by having people here for two hours per day that the phones aren't ringing, but really this means they are now going to be running the building for 50 hours per week instead of 40. (That's a big increase in utilities and stuff). I really think this is mostly for the benefit of the employees... saving us a day's worth of gas in travel, and giving us a three-day weekend every weekend. This is the greatest company! I can't wait to start!

Also, we've been talking about combating negative self-priming in our human performance meetings for the last couple of weeks, and the benefits of having a "statement list." (We have a human-performance coach). I realized that I need a major attitude adjustment where school is concerned, so I've been working on a statement list that will help me change my attitude about school... otherwise I'm not going to make it. I had one put together, and I emailed it to our coach to see if he had any input for me, and he brought it to the next meeting and made it the focus of the whole meeting. (Which was yesterday). Our group is pretty small and we all know each other, so it wasn't too embarrassing, in fact, it was very beneficial to me and hopefully to the others. I got some great suggestions on how to improve it, and there were a couple of things that I took away most of all: First, achievement requires sacrifice. Instead of resenting the sacrifice, embrace it, and know that it is temporary. Next, it was my choice to do this. I can't be victimized by it because I chose it, and I need to own up to my choices and accept them. Finally, I have soooo much support, from husband, family, friends, coworkers and bosses, and professors if I will utilize them. There is so much more but those things hit me the hardest. It made me realize how lucky I am to have such a phenomenal support system.

Speaking of school, I am one chapter away from finishing all astronomy homework, and then I can use this last week and a half to study hard for statistics. My husband has all but carried me through that class these last few weeks. He is so great.

And... we are going on vacation next month! We finally decided on a place to go and I am so pumped!

No comments: