Monday, December 8, 2008

Smells Like... popcorn

Geoff and I just watched the 100 greatest songs of the 90's countdown (well okay, numbers 40-1 without commercials thanks to the divver). It was so much fun. I couldn't believe how old some of those people are now. It was only ten years ago they were in their prime, most of them. I was also surprised to know 99% of the songs, and it took me back to the terrible confusing days of Jr. High, with the black baggy pants and teeny tight little shirts, chain-link necklaces and horny boys. That was just when I was starting to emerge from my world of Dad's music (Jackson Browne, Paul Simon, Timothy Schmidt) to genres of my own... grunge and pop... X96.3 was tha bomb before they started playing the crappy pop-punk, which I'm sure will comprise the 100 greatest songs of the 2K's. I love the 90's. (That Smells Like Teen Spirit was first introduced to me by Weird Al Yankovich will remain our little secret, mmmmkay?)

So I was scrolling through the TV guide the other day and lingered over the lineup for Spike TV... which is obviously a man's channel. I was amused at the upcoming shows, which included MANswers: How to bust out of handcuffs, bullets and samurai swords, taking a stripper home, and killing a bear. This was followed by Horsepower IV, Prisoners out of control, and When animals attack. Thinking the busting out of handcuffs thing just might come in useful one day, I clicked on the show where I immediately learned which animal farts the most. (But I forget what it was now, dangit). Men are so funny.

Flip from Spike over to Lifetime, where we have Flirting with Forty, Will & Grace, and If You Believe, which promises the story of "a highly stressed book editor who nears a breakdown, her inner child appears in order to help her find the joys of life."

Sometimes I wonder which of these encompasses me more. I hope to find out when I read the Twilight series, at which I expect to either melt with excited giddyness or roll my eyes and go "C'mooonnnnnn for real?" We will see.

Geoff just made popcorn and it is calling out to me...

1 comment:

Ang said...

Ohmygoodness! I LOVE this post. Oh and by the way, Twilight will most likely cause both giddiness and eye rolling.