Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lock and load... preparing for the new year

Pregnancy is weird. I'm not pregnant, but we just found out that one of the girls in our presidency is. (The only people from the ward who read my blog already know about it, so I think it's okay to write about it). She said today is the first of many that she's even been able to stand up, and she can't keep anything down. While I don't envy her sickness, I am truly excited for her. It seems like everyone I know is either pregnant, trying, or plans to try in the next six months. (Even Ma Ingles found out she was pregnant today). I guess we enter phase "baby announcement", rather than wedding announcement. They are leaving us behind. It is our choice though, and we aren't ready yet. I always feel kind of bad talking about it though because I know so many have tried and are having a hard time, and I never know what I might say that would trigger someone else's pain. I can be kind of a clod sometimes. But I am excited for our girl, she will be a good mom.

Well, cost management professor, Mr. "Students First" gave me a C+. So, I am taking the class again; the best way I know to fix what it did to my GPA. I'm taking it with Geoff this time, from a guy without a chip on his shoulder, and I think it will be fairly easy since I had a pretty good handle on the material... regardless of the grade. The only bad thing about retaking it is that it'll detract from the time that would be spent on my other three classes. So, if after a few weeks I find I can't keep up with everything, then I'll drop that class. I hope it will work out though, I'll just need to apply myself better. No more wasting away Friday nights. The other three classes I've got are Advanced Financial Accounting (which I'm excited for because I really really need a refresher), Government and Not-for-Profit Accounting (which sounds incredibly boring), and Accounting Information Systems, and I've really no idea what to expect from that one.

Our church has changed from the 9-noon block to the 1-4 block. It was soooo nice to sleep in this morning, and eat breakfast, and take a full shower to get ready. I don't mind later church so much. The only thing is it will cut into the non-interrupted study time, so I'll just have to get it done before Sunday this go-round. (Trying to mentally prepare, here.) Our primary was huge today. 18 kids, that's like, twice the usual! Most of the new kids are the new sunbeams that just came in from nursery. They did a pretty good job at sitting still and paying attention, except for one little boy. I think he's got mental problems, like, undiagnosed ADHD or maybe autism or something. There is another boy who has autism, but he is actually very well behaved. This other kid needs treatment, he is out of control. It will be an interesting year. :)

I sure love my husband. This morning I watched a program on the BYU channel while Geoff napped, about making a marriage relationship work. The speaker referred to John Gottman's work a lot. It would make the second time I've heard about his research, because we've talked about it in our human-performance meetings at work. It's pretty fascinating stuff, I think. One thing that stood out to me was the list of things that marriage partners should be on the same page about, or at least in the ballpark. (Not John Gottman's work, this list). It was long, and I was pretty amazed. It made me think how hard it is to really find someone that is totally compatible with you, and even at that, it takes a lot of work. Geoff and I have done our share of working too... ups and downs, like most things. But in the end, I realized that he is so perfect for me. Is there another person in this world who could stand to be married to me, and even enjoy it? It's a long shot! I just feel so comfortable, safe, and happy with him. I sure love him.

5 comments:

Sven said...

whow...whow...whow...enjoy it?

NaDell said...

Good luck with the classes.
Sorry about the huge class. Why don't they split it? Does that mean that you really have more than one class?
I like the later block for church, but I don't like that (even though I sleep in or make a yummy breakfast) I don't get a good afternoon nap. I love afternoon naps. 11-2 is the best time. Best of both worlds for that. A little sleep in and still time for a short nap before dinner. Ah. Nice.
Good luck with your bratty kids.

NaDell said...

Tagged you on my blog.

Jax said...

Good memories of school . . . I took an Accounting Information Systems class. It was pretty interesting actually. It has to do with the concept that all financial data is stored in IT systems nowadays, so as an accountant you need to have at least a basic idea of what's going on with that. In my class, we covered various business cycles--like the revenue cycle--and how they are handled in information/IT systems. If I recall, we also had some fairly major simulations and projects in that class, including one where we created a "mini information system" in Microsoft Access. That class, by the way, was for both accounting and systems students. Enjoy!

Cali said...

Huh. That sounds kind of fun, actually. Except I don't know much about Access but I guess I'll learn!