Friday, March 6, 2009

Sad day

On my lunch break today I went down to the academic advisor's office so she could map out my classes for the rest of the way. Only 4 more classes plus the capstone! I was excited to put the ending down on paper, but came away with crumpled hopes. 2 of the classes plus the capstone are only being offered at the exact same time on the exact same days. And the other two classes, which she'd said I could take this summer, are not being offered. They may be offered in the fall, she said, but there's still the question of whether they'll be overlapped. So all of this means that I'll have to push back graduation yet another semester, maybe more. Another year!! I kept groping for options, trying hard to hold back the dang tears, asking if I did this then what that, but she just kept saying "if you have to have night classes," in that "it's your funeral" tone of voice, and she would not actively offer solutions or alternatives. She just sat there and watched me hem and haw and grow upset.


YES, I have to have evening classes. I can't just quit my job because UVU's evening classes (and counselors) are insufficient. What I don't understand is how I've been to visit with Ms. Diane Johnson every single semester for help in mapping out classes, and she didn't see this coming? How in the world could she have missed this??? To have to spend more than one year to finish four measly classes and a capstone is completely ridiculous. Even if I hadn't dropped Advanced Financial this semester, I'd still be in the same predicament.


She kept saying she'd ask Steve Johnson (the dean of the school of business - the "students first" professor) if he plans on approving any more evening classes. I don't expect he will - all the more motivation to be a "student first." Why they make a man with such a chip on his shoulder the dean of the school of business I'll never know.


I just feel so beat down. Another year. I feel like dropping out. "University" is the sorry, glorified title of an unorganized excuse for a school.


Geoff said I should try a different counselor. He's been to the one I always see and he didn't like her. So, I've made an appointment with someone else for Monday... maybe they can help me. Or it might be too late. We'll have to see.


Geoff is a sweetheart to me. And I told my friend Ang about it too and she brought me a present - a bag of m&m's and a keychain pinball game. For when I'm in class wasting my life away, might as well be doing something fun, ha ha.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

I hate it when I hear about college stretching out semester after semester for people!
It seems like that happens to everyone. Don't they have all mapped out all the classes you have taken and the ones you need? Then, they ought to know when you normally take your classes and which ones you need (along with the other 20 kids?) in your evening classes, right?
That's aggravating, isn't it? I'm glad that your bud and hub helped you feel a little better.

Kyle and Alyssa said...

WOW, how annoying!!!! I hate it when classes overlap and they are the only ones you NEED! That has happend to Kyle and I as well at BYUI, or it isn't offered that semester. I don't know why the people can't get the scheduling right, or at least warn you way beforehand! I hope the other couselor will be WAY better! I wish you the best, Cali!

Sue said...

That is very disappointing but DO NOT QUIT. In the long run you will graduate and be so happy you did. Going to another counselor is a great idea but either way, just get the classes under your belt and get it done.

I know you have a regular job but maybe they'd give you chance to take classes during the day and do some work at night? You never know. If you ask the worst that can happen is they will say no.

Kayt and Brian Bell said...

Eh, HOw annoying! Brian is SOOO frustrated with UVU right now too. They just sold one of their planes so in order for him to get his next rating he has to compete with ALL the other students' schedules to try to get in the plane. I swear they make it impossible to graduate.